Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    Hello!

I want to become a moderator (or how you call it? mentor?) of PF! Who can appoint me? Can you give me a chance?

Thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You don't know me, but I want the keys to your house, be able to decide on the interior decorations, rearrange the furniture, tell you when you should eat and what you should eat for your meals, and generally have a run of your place. Can you give me a chance?

Oy vey!

Zz.

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3
    kidding, yeah?

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4
    so when shall i start?

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you
    are a professional scientist or knowledgeable lay-man who shows through helping others or by clarifying points of dispute, that you are competent in a particular area:

Then you might, in time, be chosen as mentor at PF.

7. Apr 25, 2005 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Moderators and mentors are different. A moderator is an official position, whereas a mentor and the other titles are automatically assigned as a reflection of the number and quality of your posts. Stick around for a while, help people out, and you will find your status bumped up to mentor or science advisor.

As for asking about running the joint on your first day - I'm thinkin' no.

8. Apr 25, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here at PF, we have two administrators, Greg (the owner) and chroot. Then there are the mentors that monitor the forums (sometimes referred to as moderators), these are selected by Greg, with input from the existing mentors. We also have an advisor position.

Awards (science advisor & homework helper) are given to recognize members that have repeatedly demonstrated a high level of expertise and knowledge in certain subjects and a willingness to help others. These are not automatic.

Guru awards - Annually, the mentors and admin will nominate members in each category that they consider exceptional and then PF members are allowed to vote for their favorite.

9. Apr 25, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I noticed something on the Forum Leader panels:
    Tom Mattson&SelfAdjoint are not considered moderators; only Super Mentors. :surprised

10. Apr 25, 2005 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oops. Opened my mouth when I shouldn't have.

OTOH, I learned something: I thought my title as Science Advisor was automatic, based on # of posts and high 'score' answers.

11. Apr 25, 2005 #10

Evo

They are the true original Super Mentors.

12. Apr 25, 2005 #11

Evo

Your award just appeared without being notified? Hmmm, we should let people know that they've been specially selected. You can feel honored to have been selected for an award. :smile:

13. Apr 25, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the launch of the "enhanced" :wink: version,till february,Nereid,TomMattson & SelfAdjoint were supermentors and didn't have forums to moderate (they moderators for all,i guess) which is true even now...
    I know that b4 Tom moderated the homework forum...

Daniel.

14. May 2, 2005 #13

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Each post you make is a chance to build your reputation at PF.
    Enjoy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?