Preparing for the Physics GRE: Majors vs. Non-Majors

In summary, physics majors would likely have an easier time taking the GRE subject test, while non-physics majors would likely need to find additional resources to understand some of the questions.
maverick280857
Hi

Just curious...how (tough/different) is the Physics GRE for people who don't have physics majors, but are introduced to most of the stuff at a basic level? Would like to hear from both physics majors and non-physics majors who have taken Physics GRE (subject test).

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
Hi

Just curious...how (tough/different) is the Physics GRE for people who don't have physics majors, but are introduced to most of the stuff at a basic level? Would like to hear from both physics majors and non-physics majors who have taken Physics GRE (subject test).

Cheers

hell, it's hard for physics majors! :tongue2:

take the practice exam that's on the ETS website--it's pretty representative of the exam.

i put in two months of hard work for the test, and it really paid off.

non-phys majors might have the disadvantage of not having textbooks in EM, modern physics, classical mechanics, and quantum mechanics, so you'd have to look for those books in the library or something in order to understand many of the problems.

Looks like Brad beat me to it. The physics GRE is hard enough for us, I can't imagine a non-physics major taking it. Maybe, if you're in a related field such as chemistry, you've taken the first two years of physics, as well as classical mechanics and E&M, and you've got some quantum mechanics from another department, then you could do just as well as a physics major.

But if you're not in physics, why would you want to? Are you trying to go to graduate school in physics?

Arunma, are you from India?

maverick280857 said:
Arunma, are you from India?

No, I'm from Minnesota. But I am Indian (hence the Indian name). Why do you ask?

arunma said:
No, I'm from Minnesota. But I am Indian (hence the Indian name). Why do you ask?

Because all this time I never noticed that the first four letters of your login-id actually form a name :approve:.

We have a reasonably difficult entrance test to get into the university I'm studying in. Our coursework in the first year also builds on what we do for this test. The sample gre test has several accessible questions, but of course there are some things we haven't been exposed to and will not be--in an engineering curriculum. My question really was--how much does the undergraduate preparation help there?

1. How is the Physics GRE different from other standardized tests?

The Physics GRE is unique because it tests students’ knowledge and skills specifically in the field of physics. It covers a wide range of topics, from classical mechanics and electromagnetism to quantum mechanics and thermodynamics. Additionally, the Physics GRE is typically taken by students who are applying to graduate programs in physics, so the questions are more advanced and require a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. What is the format of the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE is a multiple-choice test that consists of 100 questions. It is divided into two sections, each lasting 100 minutes. The first section covers classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and optics, while the second section covers quantum mechanics, atomic and nuclear physics, and thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. There is also an optional third section that focuses on advanced topics.

3. How is the Physics GRE scored?

The Physics GRE is scored on a scale of 200-990, with 990 being the highest possible score. Each correct answer is worth one point, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. The scores are reported in increments of 10, so a score of 800 means that the student got 80% of the questions correct.

4. Is it necessary to study for the Physics GRE?

While some students may have a strong understanding of physics through their undergraduate coursework, it is highly recommended to study for the Physics GRE. The test covers a wide range of topics, and it is important to review and practice in order to perform well. Additionally, studying can help students become familiar with the format and types of questions that may be asked on the test.

5. How can I prepare for the Physics GRE?

There are several ways to prepare for the Physics GRE, including reviewing class notes and textbooks, working through practice problems and taking practice tests, and attending review sessions or workshops. Many students also find it helpful to form study groups with classmates and to seek help from professors or tutors if needed.