How to Solve a Logarithmic Equation on a Given Base?

• Thread starter colt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary: The question is asking for an equation that cannot be solved and the x values given are not even close to being correct.
colt

Homework Statement

solve the log x²-4x-5 on the base x-2.[/B]

Homework Equations

I read a comment from someone that also saw the question that says:
making the equation equal to zero, the x values became approximately: 5.1623 and -1.1623

The Attempt at a Solution

If it was x²-4x+4, that would be igual (x-2)² and the answer would be 2, but I have no idea the guy got these broken numbers. Making what equal to zero?
the x²-4x-5? Doesn't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
colt said:

Homework Statement

[/B].

solve the log x²-4x-5 on the base x-2.

Homework Equations

I read a comment from someone that also saw the question that says:
making the equation equal to zero, the x values became approximately: 5.1623 and -1.1623

The Attempt at a Solution

If it was x²-4x+4, that would be igual (x-2)² and the answer would be 2, but I have no idea the guy got these broken numbers. Making what equal to zero?
the x²-4x-5? Doesn't make sense.
First of all: There is no equation to be solved in your thread.

Second: x2 − 4x − 5 can be factored quite nicely.

Third: What do you mean by " base x-2 " ?

Added in Edit:

Fourth: x = 5.1623 , −1.1623 are approximate solutions to x2 − 4x − 6 = 0 .

Last edited:
Where does the question come from?

SammyS said:
First of all: There is no equation to be solved in your thread.
Third: What do you mean by " base x-2 " ?

It's the base of the log, [itex](x-2) ^ {y} = x² -4x -5[/itex]. The statement is to solve it.

haruspex said:
Where does the question come from?

From a video where the presenter receives random questions about several subjects. Someone asked it, a comment about it mentioned the roots and I got curious about whether this has a solution or not.

colt said:
It's the base of the log, [itex](x-2) ^ {y} = x² -4x -5[/itex]. The statement is to solve it.
From a video where the presenter receives random questions about several subjects. Someone asked it, a comment about it mentioned the roots and I got curious about whether this has a solution or not.
Ok, so we should not be too surprised that the question makes no sense.

1. How was this log solved?

The log was solved through a process of critical thinking, experimentation, and data analysis. This involved identifying patterns, making hypotheses, and testing them through various methods until a solution was found.

2. What tools were used to solve the log?

The tools used to solve the log may vary depending on the specific problem, but in general, scientists often use mathematical equations, data analysis software, and physical tools such as microscopes or measuring instruments.

3. How long did it take to solve the log?

The time it takes to solve a log can vary greatly depending on its complexity and the resources available. Some logs may be solved in a matter of minutes, while others may take months or even years to fully understand and solve.

4. Are there different methods to solve a log?

Yes, there can be multiple methods to solve a log. Scientists may approach a problem from different angles, use different tools or techniques, or collaborate with other researchers to find a solution.

5. Can this log be solved differently?

Possibly. Depending on the nature of the log, there may be alternative methods or solutions. It is important for scientists to constantly review and evaluate their methods to ensure accuracy and to consider new perspectives and approaches.