What is the current understanding of matter and its origins?

• Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, scientists are still working on theories to explain what matter is and how it was formed. Some believe that everything is just a form of energy, but this poses a problem as the basic definition of energy presupposes matter. There were also singularities in the old universe that led to the creation of stars, planets, and life as we know it. It is unclear if this understanding is accurate or if there is more to be discovered. As one scientist said, the future will likely be even more surprising than we can imagine.
Alex_Sanders
I need some brief update of how scientists are making any progress in coming up with theories explaining what matter is and how matter was formed.

My latest memory on this one tells me everything is just a form of energy, there were singularities in the old universe, some kind of energetic balance was broke, thus came the stars, planets, and us.

Is my preliminary understanding right and not yet out of date?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

J. B. S. Haldane said:
I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.

Alex_Sanders said:
I need some brief update of how scientists are making any progress in coming up with theories explaining what matter is and how matter was formed.
I think the jury's still out on this one.

Alex_Sanders said:
My latest memory on this one tells me everything is just a form of energy ...
The basic definition of energy presupposes matter, so that might be a bit of a problem. But then, matter is rather ill-defined, so maybe it's not a problem.

Alex_Sanders said:
... there were singularities in the old universe, some kind of energetic balance was broke, thus came the stars, planets, and us.

Is my preliminary understanding right and not yet out of date?
I think you've nailed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice quote, Jimmy! Makes me wonder what happens to a scientist who discovers something that is queerer than he can suppose -- does he go nuts, or what? If he manages to publish the findings, will everyone who can understand them go nuts, leaving only stupid survivors? Hmmm...

The current understanding of matter is that it is made up of tiny particles called atoms, which are composed of even smaller particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. These particles interact with each other through fundamental forces such as gravity and electromagnetism.

In terms of its origins, the most widely accepted theory is the Big Bang theory, which suggests that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly, giving rise to all matter and energy. However, this theory is still being studied and refined as scientists gather more evidence and data.

There are also ongoing efforts to understand the nature of dark matter, which makes up a significant portion of the universe but is not directly observable. Scientists are using various methods, such as particle accelerators and astronomical observations, to study this mysterious substance and its role in the formation of the universe.

Overall, our understanding of matter and its origins is constantly evolving as new discoveries are made and theories are tested. While your preliminary understanding is generally correct, it is important to continue learning and staying updated on the latest advancements in this field.

1. How do we define "weird" in this context?

Weirdness is subjective and can vary from person to person. In science, we usually define "weird" as something that is unusual, unexpected, or outside of our current understanding.

2. Can we predict how weird something will be?

Predicting the level of weirdness can be difficult, as it depends on various factors such as our knowledge and understanding of the subject, the context, and individual perceptions. However, we can use scientific methods and data to make informed predictions.

3. How does something become "weird" in science?

Something can become weird in science when it challenges our current understanding and beliefs. This can happen when new data or evidence contradicts existing theories, or when a phenomenon is entirely unexpected or unexplainable using conventional methods.

4. Is it bad for science to be weird?

No, in fact, weirdness can often lead to exciting discoveries and advancements in science. It challenges us to think outside the box and encourages us to explore new ideas and theories. However, it is essential to approach weirdness with a critical and open-minded perspective.

5. How do scientists handle weirdness?

Scientists handle weirdness by following the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. In cases of unexpected or unexplainable phenomena, scientists may also collaborate with other experts and conduct further research to gain a better understanding of the weirdness.