How well do you sleep?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
I often stay awake, lying in bed, for hours before I fall asleep. My mother gets in a huff when I have the light on and am reading because she believes I am staying awake to read, when in fact, I am reading because I cannot fall asleep.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Make sure that your bedroom is dark...
This is a big one...with so many digital gadgets with LED lights glowing in the bedroom, or near it, it's hard to get a completely dark room anymore, and forget it if you live near a city. I had one phone I had to get rid of, because the charger stand had a blue LED light on it, and it was so bright I couldn't fall asleep with it on! I've been sleeping a lot better at night just by getting rid of everything that had little lights on it from the bedroom. (Once in a while I drag the laptop to bed with me, and forget about the blinking light on it when I close it and leave it on the nightstand, and definitely don't sleep as well those nights...but also usually don't feel like getting up to move it when I remember it's the source of the light keeping me awake...the worst is the Mac that "breathes" with the LED light...a blinking light is far worse than a steady one!)

Yeah, I have no control over the cat deciding that 3 AM is when she needs to walk across my stomach to sleep on the other side of the bed though. :grumpy:

This is a big one...with so many digital gadgets with LED lights glowing in the bedroom, or near it, it's hard to get a completely dark room anymore, and forget it if you live near a city. I had one phone I had to get rid of, because the charger stand had a blue LED light on it, and it was so bright I couldn't fall asleep with it on! I've been sleeping a lot better at night just by getting rid of everything that had little lights on it from the bedroom. (Once in a while I drag the laptop to bed with me, and forget about the blinking light on it when I close it and leave it on the nightstand, and definitely don't sleep as well those nights...but also usually don't feel like getting up to move it when I remember it's the source of the light keeping me awake...the worst is the Mac that "breathes" with the LED light...a blinking light is far worse than a steady one!)
I have taped red filters over the green alarm clock LED to dim it so it stops glowing. I put electrical tape over gadget lights and I have room darkening shades over the closed blinds to block out all light. I now sleep in a cave. My cats get locked out of the bedroom if they start waking me up routinely. Sometimes that works but Aspen tends to meow outside the door through the night.:cry:

Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member
I can't believe this! I just lost over 15 minutes of typing because apparently Jaguar has some keyboard shortcuts that I wasn't aware of and I hit the wrong thing. :mad: Now I have to try to remember what I was just posting and start over. :grumpy:
Light doesn't bother me, since I'm naturally nocturnal. (Okay, that was my previous opening sentence; I have no idea what came after that, so I'm going to go with the basics.) Moonbear, remember when I first started here and we'd be going from midnight to about 6:00 am? I really miss that, but circumstances don't allow for it any more.
We went to bed early tonight, because W has to leave for Lloyd again at 7:00. She actually turned off Law & Order at about 9:45 and we went to sleep. An hour later, the 4th thing that messes up my sleep, which I forgot about while making my first post, woke me up. I can't remember the technical term, but it's informally called 'restless leg syndrome'. A couple of ounces of Scotch as a shooter takes care of that nicely, but I had less than an ounce left, so here I am slurping back W's rum with Coke Zero. I'm on about 5 ounces right now, and about to pour another. (I think that the legs will be fine, as long as I can still convince them to carry me back to bed later.)
I made the mistake of logging in here, and now here I still am.
As for the cat thing, Lucy walking on me doesn't bother me at all. Her sleeping on my legs does if I'm awake, because then I can't move. If I'm asleep and she's on me, I move whether she likes it or not. When it comes to waking me up, she tickles my face with her whiskers, then breathes into my nose (purring, of course, so I can't get mad at her). If that doesn't work after a minute or so, she'll lick my hand or forehead. At least her disturbances are very quiet.
Funniest thing the other night; we tag-teamed her. Lucy was 'kneading' her claws on the bed, which you absolutely cannot break a cat of doing. W awoke to that with her usual 'Lucy! Quit scratching my covers!' and did a 'crack-the-whip' with the comforter. Lucy went straight up in the air and landed on me... right when my leg was beginning to twitch. As soon as she landed, I went into a muscular spasm and drop-kicked her across the room. All that I could see by the light of the clock was this big white ball receding into the distance with legs going in every direction. Then there was a muffled 'thud' when she hit the dresser. Next thing, she jumped back onto the bed purring her head off and went to sleep. :rolleyes:

wolram
Gold Member
I used to have very strange nights when I would toss and turn all night, the typical sleepless night. I would feel terrible the next day, of course. But often, my husband would say the next morning that he was awake most of the night but that I was sleeping. I finally had to conclude that I was merely dreaming that I had a sleepless night. Once I realized that, it stopped.

But I still sleepwalk from time to time. Mostly when I do, I disassemble things, like clocks and lamps. Once I took the marble top off of my bedside table (it's just a small table, the top is a circle with about a 12" diameter).
Wow, this is the best yet.

I find it fiendishly difficult to get to sleep if there's any disturbance around me, but once I'm gone, I'm gone. I then wake up at sunrise whether or not I want to.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Funniest thing the other night; we tag-teamed her. Lucy was 'kneading' her claws on the bed, which you absolutely cannot break a cat of doing. W awoke to that with her usual 'Lucy! Quit scratching my covers!' and did a 'crack-the-whip' with the comforter. Lucy went straight up in the air and landed on me... right when my leg was beginning to twitch. As soon as she landed, I went into a muscular spasm and drop-kicked her across the room. All that I could see by the light of the clock was this big white ball receding into the distance with legs going in every direction. Then there was a muffled 'thud' when she hit the dresser. Next thing, she jumped back onto the bed purring her head off and went to sleep. :rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Awww, poor Lucy! Kitties are so forgiving!

No problems here. I sleep when I'm tired, about 6 to 8 hours before I wake up. I am nocturnal by nature and the light does bother me, but I can sleep fine with a blanket, or pillow, or forearm over my head. The pillow blocks some of the noise during the day so that is what I prefer to use. The volume doesn't keep me awake, but individual noises can. I don't have much problem with traffic, lawn-mowers, rock concerts or jet engines, but barking dogs, people talking, babies crying, doors opening and closing all keep me awake. I seem to have more nightmares if I sleep on my back, so I usually curl up on either side.

What's sleep?:tongue2:

But I still sleepwalk from time to time. Mostly when I do, I disassemble things, like clocks and lamps. Once I took the marble top off of my bedside table (it's just a small table, the top is a circle with about a 12" diameter).
That's amazing... it would be hilarious to watch!

I sleep best when I go home for the holidays and reclaim my big comfy bed that my sister stole when I went to university! My sleep schedule is all over the place though, during the week it's usually up very late doing skulework, and then I can't get up in the mornings despite the 2 alarms I have, neither of which are beside the bed! (So I actually have to get out of bed to turn them off.) My body seems to have gotten into the habit of automatically getting out of bed and turning them off and then jumping back into bed. I wonder if I even wake up!? Weekends are even worse since I usually go out with friends pretty late.

But I find that no matter when I go to bed, I can't get up in the morning! I really need to figure out how...

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My body seems to have gotten into the habit of automatically getting out of bed and turning them off and then jumping back into bed. I wonder if I even wake up!?

Careful, rocketboy! You're taking baby steps to full-blown somnambulant disassembly!

Danger
Gold Member
You're taking baby steps to full-blown somnambulant disassembly!
Speaking of which, I meant to ask before; you do unplug these things before gutting them, right?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Speaking of which, I meant to ask before; you do unplug these things before gutting them, right?
No, which sort of worries me! The clock is apparently the favorite target of my sleeping self. It's battery-powered, so I don't worry about it. I wake up and the batteries are strewn around...sometimes the plastic face of the clock is removed.

The lamps...well, so far I just take the shade off and take the bulbs out. I don't dare leave tools, such as screwdrivers, laying around in my bedroom.

It tends to happen when I'm stressed...I don't know why I do it :redface: !

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hope you haven't tried to disassemble any human or organic occupants of the room at night lisa.

wolram
Gold Member
This has the kernel for a great horror movie.

Evo
Mentor
My ex husband was known to fry eggs in his sleep.

My ex husband was known to fry eggs in his sleep.
I hope he had his eyes open! Closed eyes, hot stove and soft tender hands could end in disaster! :rofl:

Out of interest, is sleepwalking sometimes done with eyes open? The person acts pretty normally but it is all sub-conscious?

Danger
Gold Member
Out of interest, is sleepwalking sometimes done with eyes open? The person acts pretty normally but it is all sub-conscious?
Yes.
So, Lisa... let's hope you don't accidentally cross-wire your vibrator into the garage door opener some night. You could wake up to a nasty surprise.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes.
So, Lisa... let's hope you don't accidentally cross-wire your vibrator into the garage door opener some night. You could wake up to a nasty surprise.
:blushing: Tell W you need a good smacking :tongue2: !

Wow Danger, that came out of nowhere.

I sleep very soundly :

goto bed between 23-midnight, get up 7-7h30 ! I DO need that amout of hours as a minimum

the nights i don't sleep well in a year, i can count on one hand, really...

marlon

The best solution when you cannot get asleep : having sex !
Afterwards, you sleep like a baby

marlon

Careful, rocketboy! You're taking baby steps to full-blown somnambulant disassembly!
I had to google that one... I used to sleepwalk when I was younger, I guess I grew out of it (never took anything apart though... some engineering student I am!) I remember my mom telling me the story of how she woke up one night to see me walking down the hall, and she would call my name but I wouldn't respond, I was in a trance almost. Anyway, she followed me down two flights of stairs, where I walked over to our sleeping Labrador and I just sprawled across him. Apparently he just looked up at my mom like "help?". She said it was pretty creepy watching me sleepwalk.

The best solution when you cannot get asleep : having sex !
Afterwards, you sleep like a baby

marlon
This is easier said than done. :rolleyes:

I have a friend who used to sleepwalk as a young child and was known to get up and go and pee in the corner of rooms. He also says he was woken up by his father while taking a shower in the middle of the night.