How were megaliths moved?

1. In particular the Temple of Jupiter in Baalbeck, here is a pic of one of the largest stones:

[​IMG]

How did they move it? I ask this because someone else brought this up as "proof" that in ancient times we have "hi tech" (ie, UFO nonsense), unfortunately I don't know enough about this to debunk that crackpottery (and I myself am curious what actual techniques were used to move something like this). Anyone want to have a go at debunking this (and letting us know how it was actually done)?

2. jcsd
  3. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

It's hard to fathom. In northern climes, it would be possible to move large monoliths on flattened paths that were iced over.

4. Yeah, but this one was in Lebanon.

5. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Runners, lots of people, some means of persuasion.

Coefficient of friction for wet wood-wood is only 0.2 so each person can drag 250kg, 100 people = 25Tons.
    With fish to grease the runners 20 people can drag a viking long ship across country easily (well not easily but it's possible)

6. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 18,037
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How were megaliths moved? Obelix.

7. Hm, never thought of that. Thanks.

8. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there any evidence that this is how it was done, or is this all just speculation? [fish as grease would make for a short trip, I would think].

That largest stone is estimated to weight about 1000 tons.
    http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_5b1.htm

In some cases, such as with some pyramids, there has been speculation that the stones were poured as we do today with concrete.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  9. No one knows for sure. Several theories have been proposed. The scholar Jo Anne Van Tilburg suggested that the moai in Easter Island were moved using the so-calles canoe ladders, used in the Pacifiv islands to move heavy wooden logs.
    The ladders consist of a pair of parallel wooden rails, joined by fixed wooden cross pieces, over which the log is dragged.
    Jo Anne tested her theory enlisting modern Easter Islanders to build such a ladder, mounting a statue prone on a wooden sled, attaching ropes to the sled and hauling it over the ladder.
    She found that 50 to 70 people, working five hours per day and dragging the sled five yards at each pull, could transport a 12-ton statue nine miles in a week.
    Extrapolating, we can think of hundreds of people hauling heavier monoliths.
    As was mentioned by mgb_phys, lubrication could ease the task.

10. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the case of viking ships there is evidence, the stinking rotten fish guts left an impression on the poets of the sagas!
    For ancient stone monuments there is less evidence. Wet wooden runners on either a wooden roadway or wet clay is pretty good, and you wouldn't have to be a genius to discover that. Wooden log rollers are surprisingly bad - you need very stiff material for rollers to work.

I think that was dismissed as crack-pottery. It was based on 'air bubbles' in the limestone which are erosion features common in natural rock.
    In the case of carved monoliths and stylea (not sure of the plural!) there are lots of partially finished ones in quarries all over Egypt. They had the hieroglyphs carved on them while still attached to the rock and at ground level but then broke while being cut from the quarry.

11. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you telling me that there is a Viking Ode to Stinking Fish? :biggrin:

12. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's more of a whinge.

13. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From wince it came.

14. Pythagorean

Pythagorean 4,622
    Gold Member

I think if you have slavery for horsepower and some intuitive physics for efficiency, you can move just about anything anywhere.

15. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nor should we discount the powers of Merlin. He made stones from Cornwall fly through the air and assemble into a famous henge.

16. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're going to need a source for that. :tongue:

17. the stone in the picture is called the pregnant woman because.. well i think you can figure it out. This is the largest stone amongst the baalbek monument and i believe it is some miles away from the actually monument locating it at the quarry of baalbek. It is believed that this stone was just over the limit of what men could move back then thats why it still remains in the quarry not fully hewn.

18. For those of you who watch Stargate, it reminds me a little of the Asgard. So advanced that they've lost the ability to think 'primitive'. People back then have obviously moved the blocks, theres no doubt about that and yet we can't explain how they did it. Can it not be done today?

19. Since nobody was there, we can only speculate as how it was done. And yes, we can do it now with technology available to those people. See my previous post for an example.

20. RunSwimSurf

RunSwimSurf 23
    Gold Member

This guy moves large stones by himself, maybe they did what he did but at a larger scale?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  21. I keep trying to figure out how it could be done. I keep thinking it would be easiest by cutting the stone into the shape of a cylinder and use levers to roll it. If you had grooves in the form of a square every couple feet, that you could fasten levers to so that you have a bunch of levers at once. Then you could have some elephants pulling on the levers, and reposition the levers every 1/4 turn or so. It seams though that if they did roll the stones using levers, there would be some evidence of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?