Arc Length to Radius Ratio: Why Equal?

In summary: Hi wajed! Because that's the way the radian is defined … one radian is the angle whose arc-length, S, equals the radius, R. S= R\theta, which means that the sum of the wajeds of two angles (in radians) will equal the wajed of the combined angle. For the radian, this relationship is linear.
wajed
(F) Thanks in advance (F)

Physics news on Phys.org

wajed said:
(F) Thanks in advance (F)

You're welcome! :biggrin:

Because that's the way the radian is defined

one radian is the angle whose arc-length, S, equals the radius, R.

Since arc-length is proportional to angle, 2 radians has arc-length twice that: S = 2R, and so on. :smile:

but if I want to go further and ask such question: "how do you know that this equation holds and is 100% correct?", what field of mathematics should I study to be able to answer that question?

None, because there is no further dept to the answer. At some point, some guy said "Wouldn't it be cool to define a new quantity, the "angle" as the ratio S/R?"

And that's all there is to it.

There is no a priori relation between what we call an "angle" and phenomena taking place in the physical world. That is to say, there is nothing to "test" the formula S/R against. It is not a theory that can to proved right or wrong; it is simply an abstraction of our mind.

None, because there is no further dept to the answer. At some point, some guy said "Wouldn't it be cool to define a new quantity, the "angle" as the ratio S/R?"

And that's all there is to it.

There is no a priori relation between what we call an "angle" and phenomena taking place in the physical world. That is to say, there is nothing to "test" the formula S/R against. It is not a theory that can to proved right or wrong; it is simply an abstraction of our mind.

So, I can simply say I want to define a new angle measurement and call it "wajed" and define it as the length of the radius over the distance between the two ends of the rays that form the angle, right?

You mean "wajed"= R/S ?

Sure.

You mean "wajed"= R/S ?

Sure.
Yes, No (sorry) I mean "wajed"= R/S, where S is the distance between the blah blah blah (not the arc-length), but this still holds, so Thank you anyway :D
(Learned something new, today)

I'm glad!

We go through school being taught that 1+1=2 and so on as if it these were irrevocable Grand Facts of the Universe, and so the moment one realizes that math is actually completely arbitrary and the work of man like you and me, a happy "ah-Ah!" moment is bound to result! That or utter insanity.

are wajeds well-behaved?

wajed said:
but if I want to go further and ask such question: "how do you know that this equation holds and is 100% correct?", what field of mathematics should I study to be able to answer that question?
wajed said:
So, I can simply say I want to define a new angle measurement and call it "wajed" and define it as the length of the radius over the distance between the two ends of the rays that form the angle, right?

Hi wajed! :smile:

We can define anything we like, but some definitions are more useful than others.

We would prefer the "wajed" to be well-behaved (like its inventor? :biggrin:), so we would want the sum of the wajeds of two angles to equal the wajed of the combined angle.

That works for the radian because rotations in one dimension form a one-parameter group (every rotation is a scalar multiple of every other rotation), and that parameter happens to be S/R. :wink:

The most important point to be made here is that relationship between angle and arc subtended is linear: one is simply a multiple of the other. That is a simplified version of what tiny-tim just said, "rotations in one dimension form a one-parameter group".

We know that a circle of radius R has circumference [itex]2\pi R[/itex] and that corresponds to a an angle, in radians, of [itex]2\pi[/itex]. If the length of the arc subtended by angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is S, then we can set up the proportion
[tex]\frac{S}{\theta}= \frac{2\pi R`}{2\pi}[/tex]
The "[itex]2\pi[/itex]"s cancel and [itex]S= R\theta[/itex].

We can do the same thing with degrees: again the circumference of a circle is [itex]2\pi[/itex] but now the entire circle corresponds to 360 degrees so our proprotion is
[tex]\frac{S}{\theta}= \frac{2\pi R}{360}[/tex]
and
[tex]S= \frac{2\pi}{360} R\theta[/tex]
when [itex]\theta[/itex] is measured in degrees.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the significance of the arc length to radius ratio?

The arc length to radius ratio, also known as the curvature, is a measure of how sharply a curve bends at a particular point. This ratio is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mathematics, and mechanics, as it helps us understand the behavior and properties of curves.

2. Why is it important for the arc length to radius ratio to be equal?

When the arc length to radius ratio is equal, it means that the curve is a perfect circle. This is important because circles have special properties that make them useful in many applications. For instance, circles have a constant curvature, which makes them ideal for creating smooth and uniform shapes in engineering and design.

3. How is the arc length to radius ratio calculated?

The arc length to radius ratio is calculated by dividing the length of a curve by its radius. In other words, it is the ratio of the distance traveled along the curve to the distance from the center of the curve to any point on the curve. This ratio is usually denoted by the Greek letter "kappa" (κ) in mathematics and physics.

4. What does an unequal arc length to radius ratio indicate?

If the arc length to radius ratio is unequal, it means that the curve is not a perfect circle. This could indicate that the curve is either stretched or compressed in one direction, which can affect its properties and behavior. Unequal curvature can also lead to non-uniform shapes, making it difficult to predict the behavior of objects or systems that involve curved surfaces.

5. Can the arc length to radius ratio be manipulated?

Yes, the arc length to radius ratio can be manipulated by changing the shape or dimensions of a curve. For instance, if we increase the radius of a curve while keeping the arc length constant, the curvature will decrease, and the ratio will become smaller. This can be seen in objects like car tires, where the larger the radius, the smoother the ride due to a smaller curvature. Similarly, by changing the arc length while keeping the radius constant, we can also manipulate the curvature and the ratio.