How will a masters in Anatomy help me

• Thread starter Thallium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of studying anatomy for a BA and Master's degree. Some participants question the usefulness of such a degree and suggest alternative paths such as becoming an MD or going into bio-med. Others argue that studying anatomy can be valuable for personal growth and intellectual curiosity, even if it may not lead to a specific job. The conversation also touches on the importance of finding joy in one's career path.
Thallium
I saw in a studyguide for universities and colleges in Ireland, that there is a separate study about anatomy. One can take BA degree and a Master's degree in anatomy! I am so curious about this and perhaps this will be my future. But what can I do with it?

(I will ask the university later. I wanted to check here first)

Physics news on Phys.org
It will get you nowhere.

Lol...talking from experience ShawnD? ;D

Nope, but I know it won't go anywhere. Where on Earth will you use an anatomy degree? That sounds as useless as a philosophy degree.

Why would you study anatomy for masters work? We have known almost all about how the human body works for at least a hundred years. What possible research would you do?

Hardly makes sense to me... if you're going to become an MD, go for the MD. If you're going into bio-med, go into bio-med. Anatomy seems like something which a lot of fields use, but the only reason to specialize in it would be if you plan on teaching it. I could be talking out of my butt of course...

enigma said:
I could be talking out of my butt of course...
That can't be. You're an engineer, and engineers never make mistakes :biggrin:.

Anatomy sounds like a good class to take, but a Masters? I wouldn't think there is enough information to qualify for a Masters. I know anatomy like the back of my hand and I...what the?..hey check this out, I never saw that there before does this look normal to you? now look at my other hand.

enigma said:
BWAAAHAAHAA

Check out the last definition...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=SWAG

<jargon> Scientific (or Silly) Wild Ass Guess. A term used by
technical teams when establishing high level sizings for large
projects.

How about the example of the word swag in a different usage: To hang or move, as something loose and heavy; to sway; to swing.

lol.
"I swag as a fat person's belly swaggeth as he goeth. --Palsgrave."

ShawnD said:
Nope, but I know it won't go anywhere. Where on Earth will you use an anatomy degree? That sounds as useless as a philosophy degree.

You do have a talent for encouraging others, don't you? Philosophy is good for thinking and being creative, searching for solutions... I am not going to study philosophy, I did think about it, but I am defending those who are. You mean useless because it cannot give something NEW to the society and Mankind? Is innovation, progress and growth all that matters? Is using the nature resources until they are all worn and gone all that makes a successful living and a great future? Don't we need people who can ask questions?

How about some good ol' thinkin' instead of the "MUCH, SOON, NOW OR NEVER"-idea that science clings to today..?

Fine.. Just fine...

Anatomy is fascinating. If fascination is not an acceptable reason for studying, and only to increase the wealth mankind and "live happy all our lives", then... Jada jada...

Thallium said:
You mean useless because it cannot give something NEW to the society and Mankind?
No, I mean it costs thousands of dollars and 4 years of your life but won't get you a job. Being an "artist" or a "thinker" does not pay the bills.

The whole point of going to university is to get a good job. If you're just going to end up working as a construction worker after graduation, what was the whole point of going to university?

People have different motivations for studying. It need not be getting a good job. The investment you (or your parents) do in college education can pay off in different ways, and it is a personal matter which is the most valuable (money, status, intellectual curiosity, ability to teach or help others, etc.).

On the other hand, Thallium, your original question was precisely "what can I do with it?", which can be understood as "what job is there for the holder of such a degree?".

ShawnD said:
The whole point of going to university is to get a good job. If you're just going to end up working as a construction worker after graduation, what was the whole point of going to university?

Joy of course! What is the point with having a job without finding joy in it!

1. How will a masters in Anatomy help me in my career?

A masters in Anatomy can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in the field of human anatomy, which is highly valued in many industries such as healthcare, research, and education. This degree can open up opportunities for higher-paying positions and more specialized roles in these fields.

2. Will a masters in Anatomy give me a competitive edge over other candidates?

Yes, a masters in Anatomy can give you a competitive edge over other candidates as it demonstrates your dedication and expertise in a specific area of study. Employers often seek candidates with advanced degrees and specialized knowledge, making a masters in Anatomy a valuable asset to your resume.

3. Can a masters in Anatomy lead to research opportunities?

Absolutely. A masters in Anatomy can provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to conduct research in the field of human anatomy. Many universities and research institutions offer research positions and grants to individuals with a masters degree in Anatomy.

4. Will a masters in Anatomy help me if I want to pursue a career in healthcare?

Yes, a masters in Anatomy can be beneficial for those interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. This degree can provide you with a deep understanding of human anatomy, which is essential for many healthcare professions such as physicians, surgeons, and physical therapists. It can also help you stand out in a competitive job market.

5. What other skills can I gain from a masters in Anatomy?

In addition to knowledge and expertise in human anatomy, a masters degree in Anatomy can also help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. These skills are highly transferable and can be applied to various industries, making you a well-rounded and valuable candidate for many job opportunities.