Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How will the 2003 Iraq War effect your vote

1. Apr 17, 2004 #1
    That is, if you vote. A split in the democratic party is obvious: Kerry's plan is generally similar to Bush's plan with respect to the war -- "sovereignty" will be turned over to The Entity designed by a UN apatchik. Last week, protestors at a Kerry rally unfurled an "out of Iraq now" banner, to consternated comments by the candidate. Howard Dean raised millions with straight talk and anti-war straight talk.

The stop-loss orders for service personel (appx 2500 as of 3/04) act as a de-facto draft, as does the pathetic abuse of National Guardsmen & women who signed up to grease the wheels into college. Kerry has pledged a civil service mandate for citizens but not a draft per se, but his rhetoric (damn rhetoric) sounds tragically like the same Johnson hogwash of the 70's:
    Well, will you vote for the candidate who will propose a TRUE timetable for withdrawing troops from Iraq?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anybody but Bush. I'm throwing my vote behind the candidate who is most likely to win over Bush. Period.

- Warren
  4. Apr 17, 2004 #3
    thanks for rsvp'g, chroot, but I mean more theoretically: if GWB has an exit strategy yet JK does not, would you vote for Bush to avoid drafting thousands of young boys and girls?
  5. Apr 17, 2004 #4
    the republicans are pro war. the democrats are pro kerry. kerry is pro war. you do the math.

bush carries too much baggage to significantly increase the numbers of troops in iraq, kerry does not. a vote for kerry is a vote for war.

vote for kerry, he can get the job done in iraq, no one will be able to stop him.
  6. Apr 17, 2004 #5

My opinion is that some republicans are pro war, the democrats are anti-bush. Kerry (at this moment) is whatever he thinks will get him into office.

I'm not sure what kind of baggage your speaking of, could you clarify? It seems to me a President that does not have to worry about re-election has more freedom then one who does....

I honestly don't think Kerry has it in him to "get the job done", I'm not sure Bush does either...but really, it seems as though your saying Hanoi Kerry is the answer to all of our problems? are you serious?
  7. Apr 17, 2004 #6
    Kerry is stuck with the mess that Bush created. American troops can't just pull out of Iraq, or within months the situation will be significantly worse than it was under Saddam.
  8. Apr 18, 2004 #7
    It already is worse than it was under Saddam, and GWB blew all his chances to get the UN involved. GWB talks about freedom as God's gift to mankind, but how do you talk about freedom when what you do is put up barbed wire & checkpoints & silence newspapers & cluster bombing civilians?
  9. Apr 19, 2004 #8

Staff: Mentor

By what critereon exactly, do you base that?

I guess maybe, you could say the poverty rate isn't declining as fast as it was before the war - due to the fact that the poor are no longer dying of starvation at anywhere near the rate they were before the war.

Or maybe you could say that power failures are more frequent now than they were before the war - now that more people have electricity.
  10. Apr 19, 2004 #9
    Who is making the mess in Iraq today? Terrorists or Americans?
  11. Apr 20, 2004 #10
    no of Americans killed by terrorism in Iraq before 2003 = 0
    no after = 600 +
  12. Apr 20, 2004 #11

Dying of starvation.
    I suppose the UN RESOLUTIONS had nothing to do with them dying of starvation?
    You really are from another WORLD, Russ....
  13. Apr 20, 2004 #12

No, I don't think they did. It would seem that Saddam and perhaps...yet to be proven but supported by a seemingly abundance of records...crooked U.N. and State members.
  14. Apr 20, 2004 #13
    The UN is not the USA. It was our sanctions that crippled Iraq. If your anti war, your pro sanctions.
  15. Apr 20, 2004 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Not at all. Plenty of people are against Bush's war and also against sanctions.
  16. Apr 20, 2004 #15
    hrrrm, I'd call that pro Saddam
  17. Apr 20, 2004 #16
    I'd call THAT Bush appeasement
  18. Apr 20, 2004 #17
    No of Iraqis killed by Saddam before 2003 = (a conservative) 300,000
    No after = 0
  19. Apr 20, 2004 #18
  20. Apr 20, 2004 #19
    I'm voting for Kerry, the reasons are too many to count.
  21. Apr 20, 2004 #20
    How about the ones regarding the Iraq war and his past/present/future plans for it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?