How will the 2003 Iraq War effect your vote

  • News
  • Thread starter schwarzchildradius
  • Start date
  • #1
schwarzchildradius
That is, if you vote. A split in the democratic party is obvious: Kerry's plan is generally similar to Bush's plan with respect to the war -- "sovereignty" will be turned over to The Entity designed by a UN apatchik. Last week, protestors at a Kerry rally unfurled an "out of Iraq now" banner, to consternated comments by the candidate. Howard Dean raised millions with straight talk and anti-war straight talk.

The stop-loss orders for service personel (appx 2500 as of 3/04) act as a de-facto draft, as does the pathetic abuse of National Guardsmen & women who signed up to grease the wheels into college. Kerry has pledged a civil service mandate for citizens but not a draft per se, but his rhetoric (damn rhetoric) sounds tragically like the same Johnson hogwash of the 70's:
Americans of all political persuasions are united in our determination to succeed. The extremists attacking our forces should know they will not succeed in dividing America, or in sapping American resolve, or in forcing the premature withdrawal of U.S. troops
Well, will you vote for the candidate who will propose a TRUE timetable for withdrawing troops from Iraq?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
10,226
34
Anybody but Bush. I'm throwing my vote behind the candidate who is most likely to win over Bush. Period.

- Warren
 
  • #3
schwarzchildradius
thanks for rsvp'g, chroot, but I mean more theoretically: if GWB has an exit strategy yet JK does not, would you vote for Bush to avoid drafting thousands of young boys and girls?
 
  • #4
Lars Johnson
the republicans are pro war. the democrats are pro kerry. kerry is pro war. you do the math.

bush carries too much baggage to significantly increase the numbers of troops in iraq, kerry does not. a vote for kerry is a vote for war.

vote for kerry, he can get the job done in iraq, no one will be able to stop him.
 
  • #5
kat
26
0
Lars Johnson said:
the republicans are pro war. the democrats are pro kerry. kerry is pro war. you do the math.
My opinion is that some republicans are pro war, the democrats are anti-bush. Kerry (at this moment) is whatever he thinks will get him into office.

bush carries too much baggage to significantly increase the numbers of troops in iraq, kerry does not.
I'm not sure what kind of baggage your speaking of, could you clarify? It seems to me a President that does not have to worry about re-election has more freedom then one who does....

a vote for kerry is a vote for war. vote for kerry, he can get the job done in iraq, no one will be able to stop him.
I honestly don't think Kerry has it in him to "get the job done", I'm not sure Bush does either...but really, it seems as though your saying Hanoi Kerry is the answer to all of our problems? are you serious?
 
  • #6
Zero
Kerry is stuck with the mess that Bush created. American troops can't just pull out of Iraq, or within months the situation will be significantly worse than it was under Saddam.
 
  • #7
schwarzchildradius
Zero said:
Kerry is stuck with the mess that Bush created. American troops can't just pull out of Iraq, or within months the situation will be significantly worse than it was under Saddam.
It already is worse than it was under Saddam, and GWB blew all his chances to get the UN involved. GWB talks about freedom as God's gift to mankind, but how do you talk about freedom when what you do is put up barbed wire & checkpoints & silence newspapers & cluster bombing civilians?
 
  • #8
russ_watters
Mentor
19,932
6,398
schwarzchildradius said:
It already is worse than it was under Saddam...
By what critereon exactly, do you base that?

I guess maybe, you could say the poverty rate isn't declining as fast as it was before the war - due to the fact that the poor are no longer dying of starvation at anywhere near the rate they were before the war.

Or maybe you could say that power failures are more frequent now than they were before the war - now that more people have electricity.
 
  • #9
5
0
Who is making the mess in Iraq today? Terrorists or Americans?
 
  • #10
schwarzchildradius
no of Americans killed by terrorism in Iraq before 2003 = 0
no after = 600 +
 
  • #11
Aaaarrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!

russ_watters said:
By what critereon exactly, do you base that?

I guess maybe, you could say the poverty rate isn't declining as fast as it was before the war - due to the fact that the poor are no longer dying of starvation at anywhere near the rate they were before the war.

Or maybe you could say that power failures are more frequent now than they were before the war - now that more people have electricity.
Dying of starvation.
I suppose the UN RESOLUTIONS had nothing to do with them dying of starvation?
You really are from another WORLD, Russ....
 
  • #12
kat
26
0
Nommos Prime (Dogon) said:
Dying of starvation.
I suppose the UN RESOLUTIONS had nothing to do with them dying of starvation?
You really are from another WORLD, Russ....
No, I don't think they did. It would seem that Saddam and perhaps...yet to be proven but supported by a seemingly abundance of records...crooked U.N. and State members.
 
  • #13
5
0
Nommos Prime (Dogon) said:
Dying of starvation.
I suppose the UN RESOLUTIONS had nothing to do with them dying of starvation?
You really are from another WORLD, Russ....
The UN is not the USA. It was our sanctions that crippled Iraq. If your anti war, your pro sanctions.
 
  • #14
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,786
7
Not at all. Plenty of people are against Bush's war and also against sanctions.
 
  • #15
member 5645
selfAdjoint said:
Not at all. Plenty of people are against Bush's war and also against sanctions.
hrrrm, I'd call that pro Saddam
 
  • #16
schwarzchildradius
I'd call THAT Bush appeasement
 
  • #17
member 5645
schwarzchildradius said:
no of Americans killed by terrorism in Iraq before 2003 = 0
no after = 600 +
No of Iraqis killed by Saddam before 2003 = (a conservative) 300,000
No after = 0
 
  • #19
90
0
I'm voting for Kerry, the reasons are too many to count.
 
  • #20
member 5645
Jake said:
I'm voting for Kerry, the reasons are too many to count.
How about the ones regarding the Iraq war and his past/present/future plans for it.
 
  • #21
kat
26
0
phatmonky said:
How about the ones regarding the Iraq war and his past/present/future plans for it.
Not a big deal, he only disagrees with those reasons 50% of the time.....


flip flop flip flop :biggrin:
 
  • #22
schwarzchildradius
kat said:
Not a big deal, he only disagrees with those reasons 50% of the time.....


flip flop flip flop :biggrin:
so cliche. GWB is the flip flopper.
 
  • #23
5
0
selfAdjoint said:
Not at all. Plenty of people are against Bush's war and also against sanctions.
but without this war the sanctions wouldnt have been lifted. You cant have both ways!
 

Related Threads on How will the 2003 Iraq War effect your vote

Replies
10
Views
5K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
4
Replies
98
Views
11K
  • Last Post
7
Replies
158
Views
11K
Replies
19
Views
2K
  • Last Post
5
Replies
115
Views
8K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
3K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
52
Views
5K
Top