How will the 2003 Iraq War effect your vote

• News
  • Thread starter schwarzchildradius
  • Start date
In summary, there is a split in the democratic party regarding the war in Iraq. Kerry's plan is similar to Bush's in that sovereignty will be turned over to a UN designed entity. However, last week protestors at a Kerry rally unfurled a banner calling for immediate withdrawal from Iraq. Howard Dean has raised millions with his anti-war stance. Kerry has pledged a civil service mandate for citizens, but his rhetoric resembles that of the Vietnam era and may lead to a draft. The Republican party is generally pro-war, while the democratic party is pro-Kerry, who is seen as pro-war. Kerry is seen as the best chance for ending the war, but some doubt his ability to do
schwarzchildradius
That is, if you vote. A split in the democratic party is obvious: Kerry's plan is generally similar to Bush's plan with respect to the war -- "sovereignty" will be turned over to The Entity designed by a UN apatchik. Last week, protestors at a Kerry rally unfurled an "out of Iraq now" banner, to consternated comments by the candidate. Howard Dean raised millions with straight talk and anti-war straight talk.

The stop-loss orders for service personel (appx 2500 as of 3/04) act as a de-facto draft, as does the pathetic abuse of National Guardsmen & women who signed up to grease the wheels into college. Kerry has pledged a civil service mandate for citizens but not a draft per se, but his rhetoric (damn rhetoric) sounds tragically like the same Johnson hogwash of the 70's:
Americans of all political persuasions are united in our determination to succeed. The extremists attacking our forces should know they will not succeed in dividing America, or in sapping American resolve, or in forcing the premature withdrawal of U.S. troops

Well, will you vote for the candidate who will propose a TRUE timetable for withdrawing troops from Iraq?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody but Bush. I'm throwing my vote behind the candidate who is most likely to win over Bush. Period.

- Warren

thanks for rsvp'g, chroot, but I mean more theoretically: if GWB has an exit strategy yet JK does not, would you vote for Bush to avoid drafting thousands of young boys and girls?

the republicans are pro war. the democrats are pro kerry. kerry is pro war. you do the math.

bush carries too much baggage to significantly increase the numbers of troops in iraq, kerry does not. a vote for kerry is a vote for war.

vote for kerry, he can get the job done in iraq, no one will be able to stop him.

Lars Johnson said:
the republicans are pro war. the democrats are pro kerry. kerry is pro war. you do the math.
My opinion is that some republicans are pro war, the democrats are anti-bush. Kerry (at this moment) is whatever he thinks will get him into office.

bush carries too much baggage to significantly increase the numbers of troops in iraq, kerry does not.
I'm not sure what kind of baggage your speaking of, could you clarify? It seems to me a President that does not have to worry about re-election has more freedom then one who does...

a vote for kerry is a vote for war. vote for kerry, he can get the job done in iraq, no one will be able to stop him.
I honestly don't think Kerry has it in him to "get the job done", I'm not sure Bush does either...but really, it seems as though your saying Hanoi Kerry is the answer to all of our problems? are you serious?

Kerry is stuck with the mess that Bush created. American troops can't just pull out of Iraq, or within months the situation will be significantly worse than it was under Saddam.

Zero said:
Kerry is stuck with the mess that Bush created. American troops can't just pull out of Iraq, or within months the situation will be significantly worse than it was under Saddam.
It already is worse than it was under Saddam, and GWB blew all his chances to get the UN involved. GWB talks about freedom as God's gift to mankind, but how do you talk about freedom when what you do is put up barbed wire & checkpoints & silence newspapers & cluster bombing civilians?

schwarzchildradius said:
It already is worse than it was under Saddam...
By what critereon exactly, do you base that?

I guess maybe, you could say the poverty rate isn't declining as fast as it was before the war - due to the fact that the poor are no longer dying of starvation at anywhere near the rate they were before the war.

Or maybe you could say that power failures are more frequent now than they were before the war - now that more people have electricity.

Who is making the mess in Iraq today? Terrorists or Americans?

no of Americans killed by terrorism in Iraq before 2003 = 0
no after = 600 +

Aaaarrgggggghhhhhh!

russ_watters said:
By what critereon exactly, do you base that?

I guess maybe, you could say the poverty rate isn't declining as fast as it was before the war - due to the fact that the poor are no longer dying of starvation at anywhere near the rate they were before the war.

Or maybe you could say that power failures are more frequent now than they were before the war - now that more people have electricity.

Dying of starvation.
I suppose the UN RESOLUTIONS had nothing to do with them dying of starvation?
You really are from another WORLD, Russ...

Nommos Prime (Dogon) said:
Dying of starvation.

No, I don't think they did. It would seem that Saddam and perhaps...yet to be proven but supported by a seemingly abundance of records...crooked U.N. and State members.

Nommos Prime (Dogon) said:
Dying of starvation.

The UN is not the USA. It was our sanctions that crippled Iraq. If your anti war, your pro sanctions.

Not at all. Plenty of people are against Bush's war and also against sanctions.

selfAdjoint said:

hrrrm, I'd call that pro Saddam

I'd call THAT Bush appeasement

schwarzchildradius said:
no of Americans killed by terrorism in Iraq before 2003 = 0
no after = 600 +

No of Iraqis killed by Saddam before 2003 = (a conservative) 300,000
No after = 0

I'm voting for Kerry, the reasons are too many to count.

Jake said:
I'm voting for Kerry, the reasons are too many to count.

How about the ones regarding the Iraq war and his past/present/future plans for it.

phatmonky said:
How about the ones regarding the Iraq war and his past/present/future plans for it.

Not a big deal, he only disagrees with those reasons 50% of the time...

flip flop flip flop :biggrin:

kat said:
Not a big deal, he only disagrees with those reasons 50% of the time...

flip flop flip flop :biggrin:
so cliche. GWB is the flip flopper.

selfAdjoint said:

but without this war the sanctions wouldn't have been lifted. You can't have both ways!

1. How will the 2003 Iraq War affect my vote in the upcoming election?

The effects of the 2003 Iraq War on an individual's vote may vary depending on their personal beliefs and values. Some may view the war as a positive decision made by the government and therefore may support candidates who were in favor of the war. Others may have a more negative view of the war and may vote for candidates who were against it.

2. Did the 2003 Iraq War influence any of the current political issues?

The 2003 Iraq War did have an impact on various political issues such as foreign policy, national security, and military spending. The aftermath of the war has also influenced discussions on the use of military force and intervention in other countries.

3. How did the 2003 Iraq War shape the political climate at the time?

The 2003 Iraq War was a major event that shaped the political climate at the time. It sparked debates and discussions on various topics such as the justification for the war, the role of the United States in international affairs, and the impact of war on the economy and society.

4. Did the 2003 Iraq War have any long-term effects on the country?

The 2003 Iraq War had significant long-term effects on the country, including the loss of life, displacement of millions of people, and destruction of infrastructure. It also contributed to the rise of extremist groups and ongoing political instability in the region.

5. How has the public perception of the 2003 Iraq War changed over time?

Public perception of the 2003 Iraq War has shifted over time. Initially, there was widespread support for the war, but as time went on and the true costs and consequences were revealed, there has been more criticism and backlash against it. Some may still view the war as a necessary decision, while others see it as a mistake or even a war of aggression.