1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would a light saber really work?

1. Mar 18, 2003 #1
    well since this thread isn't in How Stuff Works yet, and it was put in Technology as a ''somewhat'' duplicate let's start off fresh.

I'll ask these questions although we discussed them a lot in the old PF for all those who havent seen the thread I will start it off

"do you think it is possible"

"why"

"how"
    "do you have any ideas as to how it would/should/could work?"

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2003 #2
    Are u kind of addicted to this stuff Nicool ?
    J/K.
    Well i remember lot of good ideas were presented in the original versions of this topic.

I personally think it is not possible as is (like in movies).
    But a very similiar weapon can be made.

Because there are lot of promising technologies that could be used

The best idea i see so far is the idea of having more than a single EM wave source, that will make EM waves that cross at a certain (adjustable) point.
    The EM wave itself will be harmless, but at the point of crossing of the two EM waves intersections between waves will happen to produce a new wave that is harmfull (only at that point).

Some technologies could be used to make several points, or maybe a line of those points.

4. Mar 19, 2003 #3
    True I like star wars...and the technology in it!

Yes in the last thread i believe FZ suggested plasma but as he said (and I quote)

"there are three problems"

1) The handle would get rather *hot*
    2) It would glow like a dun and blind poor obi-wan
    3) It would parry other sabers but at times would not be so "efficient"

5. Mar 20, 2003 #4
    And maybe .... it will be too heavy ?

6. Mar 20, 2003 #5
    perhaps but perhaps not. It could be another form of plasma or perhaps a type of laser. There were many ideas but I am pretty busy now and wont be on PF for long so I will post them later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?