How would I calculate how much light is being bent in a certain area?

• B
  • Thread starter Verideth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Light
In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the amount of light being bent in a specific area in their self-taught physics journey. They have come up with a formula involving integrals, but are unsure if it is correct. They explain their thought process in arriving at this formula, including taking into account the mass, gravitational constant, and speed of light. They also mention the possibility of using the Index of Refraction. Overall, they are looking for assistance from others in the field.
Verideth
Hey guys, I'm trying to teach myself physics and ran into a problem. I've recently been trying to calculate how much light is being bent in a certain area. I think we'd have to use integrals? I came up with this little formula, but not sure if it's right. If anyone can help me, that'd be much appreciated! :))

$$L = \int_x^y MGc^{2} dx$$

How did I get this equation? First I thought how would I do this? I realized because we're calculating 2 points in the area of a wave, we'd have to use an integral. And then, I multiplied M (Mass of the object) by G (Gravitational constant) to signify that mass and gravity are involved. I then multiplied this by c^2 (speed of light, every second) because I decided that if we do this we'd get the speed of light by M and G. And of course, I then used dx. Thanks!

All help is appreciated! (Please remember, I'm new to astrophysics)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you tried working out the Index of Refraction? This might help!

1. How do I calculate the amount of light being bent in a certain area?

To calculate the amount of light being bent in a certain area, you will need to use the formula for refraction. This formula takes into account the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the material, and the angle of refraction. By plugging in these values, you can determine the amount of bending that occurs.

2. What factors can affect the amount of light bending in a certain area?

The amount of light bending in a certain area can be affected by several factors, such as the refractive index of the material, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of light. The density and temperature of the material can also play a role in determining the amount of bending.

3. Can I calculate the amount of light bending using a specific material?

Yes, you can calculate the amount of light bending using a specific material by knowing its refractive index and the angle of incidence. Different materials have different refractive indices, which determine how much light will be bent when passing through them.

4. Is there a standard unit of measurement for the amount of light bending?

Yes, the standard unit of measurement for the amount of light bending is the angle of refraction, which is measured in degrees. The angle of refraction can be used to determine the amount of bending that occurs when light passes through a material.

5. How accurate is the calculation of light bending in a certain area?

The accuracy of the calculation of light bending in a certain area depends on the accuracy of the input values used in the calculation. If the values for the angle of incidence and refractive index are known precisely, the calculation can be very accurate. However, factors such as surface imperfections and variations in temperature and density can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.