Calculating the Force and Distance for Lifting a Heavy Object: A Practical Guide

• Thread starter lukahn12
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of force calculation in relation to a large object that needs to be lifted. The weight and distance of the object is mentioned, along with the desire to calculate the actual weight being lifted. The conversation ends with confirmation that the assumption of only lifting half the weight is correct.
lukahn12
Hey everyone. First post here. Sorry if this is the wrong place. Force calculation seems to fall under classic physics, though. Or to me it does. :smile:

Anyway, I have a large thing outside (block, wall, whatever you want to call it.). It is laying flat on the ground. I was wondering how I would go about calculating the required force to lift one edge of the wall up, from the ground to perpendicular to the ground, so the wall will stand.

The wall weighs about 450 lbs, and the distance from the edge I am lifting from to the edge where the wall will pivot is about 7 feet.

After I know the force required to lift the wall, I would like to calculate how much I actually lifted. 450 lbs is a nice though, but it's not happening. :P I assume lifting one edge cuts the weight lifted roughly in half, but I'd like to KNOW.

Thank you all for your time and any future help!

~The Amazing Oti

Physics news on Phys.org
Initially the ground supports half of the weight and the lifting device, at the other edge, supports the other half.

Thanks for the fast reply. :)

So my assumption that I'm only lifting about half the weight is correct, then?

1. How do I calculate the mean?

To calculate the mean, add up all the numbers in a set of data and then divide by the total number of numbers in the set.

2. What is the formula for standard deviation?

The formula for standard deviation is the square root of the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, divided by the total number of data points.

3. How do I calculate the slope of a line?

To calculate the slope of a line, find the change in y over the change in x between two points on the line. This can be represented as (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).

4. What is the equation for calculating density?

The equation for calculating density is density = mass/volume. This means that you divide the mass of an object by its volume to find its density.

5. How do I convert units in a calculation?

To convert units in a calculation, use conversion factors that relate the two units. Multiply the value you want to convert by the appropriate conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired units.