1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would I find the inverse laplace transform

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    Hi How would I find the inverse laplace transform of this?

[tex] I(s) = \left( \frac{1}{s(1+e^{-s})}\right) \left( \frac{1}{Ls+R}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]i(t)=???[/tex]

L, R are constants. I recognize the first term to be a geometric progression (square-wave function). With an infinite number of terms in that progression I don't think I could use convolution here. I could also try partial fractions but don't know how to do it with that exponential in the denominator. Someone please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well I don't know if I've become too reliant on Mathematica but what I would do would be first to see what it reports, then work backward to see how it was figured out. But Mathematica can't solve it; suppose I could review all the techniques I can think of but well, curious if it's a simple matter that just the math jocks at Wolfram can't.:smile:

4. Oct 8, 2005 #3
    The original question was to solve a differential equation for i(t) for LR series electrical circuit...

[tex]L \frac{di(t)}{dt} + Ri(t) = E(t)[/tex]

Given the condition i(0) = 0 and E(t) is the square wave function.

So I looked up the square wave function and got E(t) = 1 - H(t-1) + H(t-2) - H(t-3)... where H(t) is the heavisdie function.And taking the LT of that, I get [tex] \frac{1}{s(1+e^{-s})}[/tex]

So when I take the LT of the differential equation I got what I wrote above in post 1.

Ya just the trouble is now getting i(t).

I don't have any of the math programs so it's all lecture notes, pencil and paper i have to work with.

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And so why not a convolution? When I convolve them, I get:

[tex]i(t)=\frac{1}{L}\int_0^t E(\beta)e^{-R/L(t-\beta)}d\beta[/tex]

6. Oct 8, 2005 #5
    But doesn't that integral have to be evaluated to get the answer? That's what I can't evaluate. Hence, I went looking to try partial fractions which I can't get either.

7. Oct 8, 2005 #6

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So we got:

[tex]i(t)=\frac{1}{L}\int_0^t E(\beta)e^{-R/L(t-\beta)}d\beta[/tex]

with E(t) being a square-wave.

For now, let's just let L and R both be 1:

What is i(t) in the interval [0,1]? Wouldn't that just be:

[tex]i(t)=\int_0^t e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta\quad\text{for}\quad t\in[0,1][/tex]

What about in the interval [1,2]? So that would be:

[tex]i(t)=\int_0^1 E(\beta)e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta+\int_1^t E(\beta)e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta[/tex]

but the second integral is zero because E(t) is zero in that region so:

[tex]i(t)=\int_0^1 e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta\quad\text{for}\quad t\in[1,2][/tex]

Can you figure out what i(t) would be for the next interval?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?