How Should You Cite Revisors in a Revised Book Edition?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary: Format.In summary, when citing a revised edition of a book, it is important to include the revisers as authors, listed as "Editors" in the citation. This is especially important if the original author had no involvement in the revised edition. It is also recommended to use a standard citation style, such as MLA or APA, and to find handbooks or resources for proper formatting. The citation should include the author's name, book title, edition number, volume, city of publication, publisher, and year.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I'm having trouble writing out a reference for a book. My normal format is:
Author (year of publication) Title publisher, place of publication
eg: Trueman, A.E. (1949) Geology and scenery in England and Wales. Penguin Books, Harmondsworth

This book is a revised edition, revised without help of the original author, so should I include the people who revised it as authors, write "revised by..." after the author/title, not write their names at all, or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't THINK that you will list the revisers (otherwise usually the subsequent editions DO have added authors on the cover) although you should likely use the edition number of the book in your citation. Most of the information you should use for citing is on the inside cover of the work or on the back of the title page, so if the additional authors are there, use them. :biggrin:

You should also try to use a standard style, eg. MLA, APA, etc. Handbooks can be found for that kind of thing, and possibly this can be found online. I kept my free handout from high school, believe it or not.

Thanks very much! :smile:

Well, as an English Major, we usually require that you do cite your revisors. I would put them down as Editors. This is true especially since the author had nothing to do with the new edition.

Last, First(author). Book Title. Ed. First Last(Editor). Edition ed. Volume. Vol. City Published: Publisher, Year.

That is how it should look in Stanard MLA

1. How do I reference a book?

The format for referencing a book typically includes the author's last name, first initial, publication year, title of the book, publisher, and location. For example:

Smith, J. (2019). The Science of Reference. ABC Publishing: New York.

2. How do I reference a journal article?

The format for referencing a journal article usually includes the author's last name, first initial, publication year, title of the article, journal name, volume and issue number, and page numbers. For example:

Johnson, S. (2020). The Impact of Climate Change on Biodiversity. Nature, 10(2), 30-35.

3. How do I reference a website?

The format for referencing a website typically includes the author's last name, first initial, publication year (if available), title of the webpage, website name, URL, and access date. For example:

Robinson, L. (2018). The Importance of Recycling. Environmental Science Blog. Retrieved from www.environmentalscienceblog.com/recycling
Accessed on May 15, 2021.

4. How do I reference a government report?

The format for referencing a government report usually includes the government agency or organization as the author, publication year, title of the report, publisher, and access date. For example:

United States Environmental Protection Agency. (2020). Climate Change Impacts and Risks in the United States. Washington, D.C.
Accessed on June 1, 2021.

5. How do I reference a personal communication?

The format for referencing a personal communication, such as an email or interview, includes the name of the person, the type of communication (e.g. personal interview, personal communication), and the date of the communication. For example:

Smith, J. (personal communication, June 5, 2021).