How Far Does a Stationary Object Move When Struck by a Moving Object?

• Thread starter CrazyNeutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance a stationary object will move when hit by another object with a given mass and velocity. The conversation discusses using the concepts of conservation of momentum and friction to solve for the distance traveled. The speaker also mentions the need to know the amount of friction and coefficient of restitution in the collision.
CrazyNeutrino
If I throw an object of mass m with a velocity v against another object of mass M and is stationary, how far would the second object move? Can you please show me how I would solve this? Just show me how to derive the distance it travels, algebraicaly.

Physics news on Phys.org
well you know about the conservation of momentum, and I assume the floor has friction. Use these ideas to solve how far it goes

Yeah using conservation of momentum I can always find the velocity the object will travel but how will I find how far. Ignore friction.

well if there's no friction on the floor, what is stopping it?

You would need to know the amount of friction and coefficient of restitution of the collision.

Jeez I didn't think of that. What an idiot I am. Sorry

1. How do I approach solving a problem as a scientist?

As a scientist, the first step in solving a problem is to clearly define the problem and understand the underlying factors that contribute to it. This involves gathering information, analyzing data, and formulating a hypothesis based on your findings. It is important to approach the problem with an open and curious mindset, and to be willing to adapt your approach as needed based on new information.

2. What is the scientific method and how can it help me solve a problem?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to problem solving that involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. By following this method, scientists are able to eliminate bias and consistently arrive at reliable solutions to problems.

3. How do I determine which data is relevant to solving a problem?

In order to determine which data is relevant to solving a problem, scientists must carefully evaluate the information they have gathered and consider its validity and reliability. It is also important to consider the context and relevance of the data to the specific problem at hand.

4. What are some common pitfalls to avoid when solving a problem as a scientist?

Some common pitfalls to avoid when solving a problem as a scientist include making assumptions without proper evidence, ignoring contradictory data, and failing to consider alternative explanations. It is important to approach problem solving with a critical and objective mindset, and to constantly evaluate and adjust your approach as needed.

5. How can collaboration with other scientists aid in problem solving?

Collaboration with other scientists can be incredibly beneficial in problem solving. By working together, scientists can share ideas, perspectives, and knowledge to arrive at more comprehensive and effective solutions. Collaboration also allows for peer review and feedback, which can help to identify and address potential flaws in the problem-solving process.