How would I use momentum to calculate projectile range?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of halteres in the standing long jump and how they can potentially increase the distance of the jump. The equations used to calculate the effect of halteres on the jumper's range are shown, but there is uncertainty about the validity of the equations. Ultimately, the conclusion is that using halteres can add approximately 55cm to the jumper's range.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"In the Olympiad, some athletes competing in the standing long jump used handheld weights called halteres to lengthen their jumps. The weights were swung up in front just before liftoff and then swung down and thrown backward during flight. Suppose a modern ##78kg## long jumper similarly uses two ##\frac{11}{2}kg## halteres, throwing them horizontally to the rear at his maximum height such that their horizontal velocity is zero relative to the ground. Let his liftoff velocity be ##v=\langle\frac{19}{2},4\rangle\frac{m}{s}## with or without the halteres and assume that he lands at the liftoff level. What distance would the use of halteres add to his range?

Homework Equations

##m_0=78kg##
##m_1=11kg##
##v_0=\langle\frac{19}{2},4\rangle\frac{m}{s}##
##x=(\frac{||v||^2}{g})(sin2\theta_0)##
##\theta_0=tan^{-1}(\frac{8}{19})##

The Attempt at a Solution

vbNWEgV.png

##p_0=(78kg)\langle\frac{19}{2},4\rangle\frac{m}{s}##
##Δp=(11kg)\langle0,4\rangle\frac{m}{s}##
##p_f=p_0+Δp##
##||v_0||=||\frac{p_0}{m_0}||##
##p_f=m_0p_0+m_1Δp##
##(m_0+m_1)v_f=m_0p_0+m_1Δp##
##v_f=\frac{m_0p_0+m_1Δp}{m_0+m_1}##
##||v_f||=\frac{1}{m_0+m_1}||m_0p_0+m_1Δp||##

I'm thinking that since the x-distance from the starting point and the point of maximum height is the same as the distance from the vertex to the landing spot, the x-distance between the maximum heights of the trajectories is the same as the x-distance between their landing spots. Forgive me; the FBD I drew on paint isn't to scale. Anyway, the final answer would come out to:

##Δx=(\frac{sin2\theta_0}{g})(||v_f||^2-||v_0||^2)##

Only problem, is that: ##||v_f||<||v_0||##. So I'm thinking that I messed up around this point.

##p_f=m_0p_0+m_1Δp##
##(m_0+m_1)v_f=m_0p_0+m_1Δp##
##v_f=\frac{m_0p_0+m_1Δp}{m_0+m_1}##
##||v_f||=(\frac{1}{m_0+m_1})||m_0p_0+m_1Δp||##

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the relations that I used?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hold on, I forgot something: If the two halteres are moving ##0\frac{m}{s}## relative to the ground, then I can assume that the long jumper throws them back with a velocity of ##-v_{0x}##.

Eclair_de_XII said:
p0=(78kg)⟨192,4⟩msp0=(78kg)⟨192,4⟩ms
Edit: Yeah, the quote kind of butchered it.

I don't know if the quote (above) will come out the same or not. In your initial momentum equation, it looks like you didn't include the mass of the two halterers. Also, I'm not familiar with your notation. Does the lift off velocity indicate that the x component is 9.5 m/s and the y component is 4 m/s?
Edit changed 8.5 m/s to 9.5 m/s

TomHart said:
Does the lift off velocity indicate that the x component is 9.5 m/s and the y component is 4 m/s?

That's the momentum if the the halteres were not included. And yes.

Eclair_de_XII said:
That's the momentum if the the halteres were not included.
Doesn't he have them in his hands when he lifts off?

You're right. In any case, I found the answer already. This is the equation describing the act of throwing the halteres.

##m_1v_{0x}=m_0(v_{0x}+(\frac{m_1}{m_0})v_{0x})=m_1v_{0x}=m_0(v_{0x})(1+\frac{m_1}{m_0})##

These are the equations to find the difference in horizontal range had the long jumper not used the halteres.

##x_0=(\frac{||v_0||^2}{g})(sin2\theta_0)##
##x_f=(\frac{||v_0||^2}{g})(sin2\theta_0)+(v_{0x})(\frac{m_1}{m_0})t##
##Δx=x_f-x_0=(v_{0x})(\frac{m_1}{m_0})t##

This is to find the unknown ##t## it takes for the jumper to land.

##0=v_{0y}-gt##
##t=\frac{v_{0y}}{g}##

Substitute in, and--

##Δx=(v_{0x})(\frac{m_1}{m_0})t=(v_{0x})(\frac{m_1}{m_0})(\frac{v_{0y}}{g})=0.55m=55cm##

Someone correct me if I am mistaken in my thought process.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

2. How does momentum relate to projectile range?

Momentum plays a key role in determining the range of a projectile. As a projectile moves through the air, it possesses momentum, which helps it travel a certain distance before coming to a stop.

3. How is momentum used in calculating projectile range?

To calculate projectile range using momentum, you must first determine the initial velocity of the projectile and its mass. Then, you can use the formula: range = (2 * momentum * sin(theta)) / mass * gravity, where theta is the angle of launch and gravity is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What other factors affect projectile range besides momentum?

In addition to momentum, other factors that can affect projectile range include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and launch angle. These factors can impact the projectile's velocity and trajectory, therefore affecting its range.

5. Can momentum be used to calculate the range of any projectile?

Yes, momentum can be used to calculate the range of any projectile as long as its initial velocity, mass, and launch angle are known. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions and does not account for external factors that may affect the projectile's motion.