Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would it affect our daily lives if Planck´s constant were different?

1. Jan 12, 2004 #1
    "How would it affect our daily lives if Planck´s constant were different?"

This might not be the right place for this Q, since I´m not in school now. But I´m thinking of going back to college, and I stumbled upon the above Q when I was going through my old things from HS.

From what I can remember of physics (way too little), E=hf, where h is planck´s constant and f the frequency. I guess that means that electromagnetic radiation would contain more/less energy depending on whether h was bigger/smaller than it is now. So the sun/lamps/fires would be hotter/cooler, and things would cool down (heat up?) faster/slower than now.

Do I remember correctly? What other effects would there be?

** I realize of course that if the constant had been different, the universe would have looked completely different, and I wouldn´t be here writing this. I´m just curious to see if I understand what it affects.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?