Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would Jesus select a Justice to the U.S. Supreme Court?

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    The following thread and question is to be a discussion of political views and historical perspective, and NOT that of any religious viewpoint. It is framed to generate intelligent discussion on leadership and the process of selecting a Supreme Court justice – and historically how Jesus might go about selecting a justice if He were in Congress and the President’s position today.

It seems pretty apparent from today’s Christian conservatives that President Bush’s moral imperative in selecting a new justice to the U.S. Supreme Court is clear – to nominate a “religious conservative” with the prerogative of overturning Roe v. Wade.

So I ask if “Jesus” were in the President’s (and Congress) position today, how would He go about choosing a person to replace Justice O’Connor? Would He follow the abrasive and condescending path demanded by religious conservatives - to shape the Court in the image of today’s religious masses and FORCE their interpretation of values, life, and our Creator’s agenda? Or, would He select a justice with the key qualities of leadership, intelligence, understanding, and vision to help guide America through the 21st Century?

In short, “How might Jesus select a justice to the U.S. Supreme Court?”

Historically, Jesus firmly believed that all people were endowed with “free will.” He did NOT believe in FORCING His beliefs, teachings, or healings on others. And He did NOT give in to the strict demands of religious leaders or masses. He ASKED that people believe and practice their lives in consideration of His teachings! He led by example, and through love and trust – NOT bullying and condescension. I believe He would select a new Supreme Court justice consistent with these foregoing qualities!

Historically, Jesus was said to walk amongst all peoples of all religious beliefs, sinners (should some be so pious to call others), and His own disciples and followers. He repeatedly spoke that others should NOT practice radical condescension, NOR cast judgment upon others. As such, I believe He would NOT support the type of radical aggressive behavior that has pervaded the Christian movement today. This observation then causes me to pose this QUESTION:

“What is the rationale behind the bullying TACTICS apparently being employed by today’s religious conservatives, and the “pro-life” movement?”

President Bush and Congress have an opportunity of “historic proportion” to guide the future of America by their appointment of the next Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court. I ask that “they” act as Jesus would have them do – and that “they” act in consideration of the “separation of powers doctrine” of church and state, as stipulated in the Constitution.

By: Stephen Dolle
    Dolle Communications
    www.diaceph.com

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

McGyver has my approval for this discussion since it is from a political perspective.

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Going by the "Render unto Ceasar" episode, where two opposing political groups tried to force him to side with one or the other in their stance on dealing with taxation and Rome, I'd have to conclude the scenario was impossible. Jesus didn't believe in mixing religion and politics.

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well then how exactly would he be able to pick a Justice if he did not want people Judging others?

Pick a better framework for your rhetoric.

6. Oct 5, 2005 #5
    Yeah, the question seems strange to me as well.

I can't see him picking a justice.

7. Oct 5, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah, its like asking who would Jesus pick to head the IMF.

I mean come on, we all realize you just want to post another thread bashing conservative christians. Just come out with it already, don't pose a contradictory question to make it seem like there is something new to this argument.

8. Oct 5, 2005 #7
    Or who he'd pick to be president of the USA. :tongue2: Yeah, we can still bash conservative christians without needing to ask who he'd pick for SC.

9. Oct 5, 2005 #8
    I can't be sure since I have never really read the history of Jesus of Nazareth but only certain parts. From what I understand though the man did not approve of politicians and government but rather was the peace loving hippie sort that would prefer everyone just get along and follow basic ethical rules of conduct without anyone making them do so. I do not think he would aprove of just about any political system let alone take part in one.
    I could be wrong but this is the impression that I have gotten from what I have read.

Due to this the only objective I can see in this thread would be to try to paint the "conservative christians" of America as "bad christians". If this is the case I don't think it is apropriate. I don't mean to accuse, I just don't see much of any other sort of discussion coming from this.

10. Oct 5, 2005 #9
    I apologise for my past and future offensive comments to conservative christians. Nothing personal. One of my best friends is a bible thumper. Her kids try to convert my kids regularly.

I had trouble visiting her when the Bush sign was in her yard.

But we're still good friends. And I still have incredible difficulty with Bush.

11. Oct 5, 2005 #10
    "...my best friend is a bible thumper." :rofl:

12. Oct 5, 2005 #11
    Yeah. She'd laugh too. I knew it sounded corny, but really, us hell-bound atheists are a part of the community! I posted it because I am pretty hard on christians on the internet. In other words, it was an effort to keep fences mended.

What was the motivation for *your* post? Hmmm?

13. Oct 5, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know Evo approved the original topic, but this thread is on a short leash. If it turns into bashing of ANY religion, it's going to be put out of its misery. :wink:

14. Oct 5, 2005 #13
    Even atheism?

15. Oct 5, 2005 #14
    Ya know, my previous comment was not fair. Possibly you were laughing *with* me, and not *at* me.

16. Oct 5, 2005 #15
    I do remember that the only time Jesus displayed anger, was when he drove the money changers out of the Temple.

My discission is that Jesus would resurrect "Mr (Fred) Rodgers" and nominate him to serve on the supreme court. :smile:

17. Oct 5, 2005 #16

Evo

What I took from McGyver's post was that the religious right says that they are wanting laws enacted according to the "christian faith" they are supposedly so tied to, but as McGyver is trying to point out, what they are really doing is trying to impose their own narrow minded interpretations and beliefs which have nothing to do with the original teachings of Jesus, making them hypocrites. Just my take on it. People can take anything and twist it to their own use. Is this what we see happening in our government?

I was thinking about starting a thread on the "right to assisted suicide" for the terminally ill that is currently in danger due to the Bush administration. Scary stuff.

18. Oct 5, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

In all fairness to the OP, this is a popular question in politics these days (e.g., the purple wrist band for "What Would Jesus Do," bumper stickers that "Jesus Is A Liberal" etc.) Jesus was a rebel in regard to organized religion, most specifically Judaism--not the laws of the land. One of his big issues was that religion was discriminatory, so he constantly set the example of embracing outcasts of society (the Sumerian, tax collector, prostitute, leaper, etc.). So IF he were to select a judge, it would be someone who is not partisan.

19. Oct 5, 2005 #18

Evo

Exactly. Which is not what we see happening from those who supposedly are acting on his behalf?

20. Oct 5, 2005 #19
    No partisan judge should ever reach the bench. The reality of the situation is that they do. If the conservatives think they can take over the SC by getting more conservative judges in there then they will and the same goes for the liberals. So the strategy for each side then becomes a matter of having partisan judges in there to counter balance the partisan judges from the other side of the fence. When one side takes an advantage the other cries fowl and insists that we should be putting nonpartisan judges on the SC even though they would be quite happy to be the ones taking the advantage themselves. Neither side is innocent in this game.

I think that it's a bad idea to be taking potshots at the manner in which people interpret and act on their religeous beliefs. It also shows a bit of a slant in this protest for non-partisanship.

21. Oct 5, 2005 #20
    My husband has read some articles on Jesus lately that make him believe Jesus was a homosexual terrorist.

He doesn't say this to be funny, he thinks it is as plausible as the anarchist hippie idea - and more importantly he thinks the sources he has read support that interpretation.

"Jesus is a liberal" is one of my favorite bumper stickers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?