Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would Nitrous Oxide dissolved at temperature of 350 degrees

1. Aug 21, 2004 #1
    I'm wondering if the nitrous oxide will totally dissolve at temperature of 350'C?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Missing data

You'd better give some more information about your query. For example, what do you really mean with "dissolve"? If you mean disentegration, decomposition, or meanings like this, the word "dissolve" would be wrong.

If you really mean "dissolving", what the solvent will be then? I mean, where would you like to dissolve N2O into?

350°C is a high temperature, however, since nitrous compound is an oxide, it may further be oxidized to yield NO, NO2, N2O3, or N2O5. I wanted to say that nitrous oxide may not totally "dissolve"; but be oxidized instead.

Please give some more details, and we will discuss it here.

4. Aug 23, 2004 #3
    Hi chem_tr. I;m sorry that i used the wrong word "dissolved". What i mean is to decompose the N2O. To my best knowledge, the most stable phase for N2O is N=N-O. So the bond between N and O will break first at high temperature. I'm wondering after this, if the N and N will form triple-bond instead of further decompose to N ions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?