Optimal Performance of a Water Molecule Vessel in Ocean Conditions

• Thread starter aussie101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of building a vessel shaped like a water molecule that is neutrally buoyant and can withstand high seas and rough weather conditions. The person suggests using lexan, a bullet-resistant plastic, for its lightweight and durable properties. The design includes sealed compartments and a 360-degree view, with the vessel being used as a floating house. There is a debate on the practicality and safety of this design, with concerns about structural flaws and the potential for human error. The person behind the idea has a head injury and acknowledges the need for a professional engineer to finalize the specifications. Overall, the conversation explores the potential of this unique design and its feasibility in harsh ocean conditions.
aussie101
If i built a vessel shaped as a water molecule and made it neutrally buoyant with a counter sink (for stability and upright)- How would this preform in the ocean?
how would it act in high seas?
would it pass through a wave on a compressed arc or over it near its surface?
what would the reduction of speed be in comparison to a convential boat?
In the perfect storm (like the movie) would you be safer on a convental boat trawler etc.
or in a water molecule vessel of same size?

Physics news on Phys.org
aussie101 said:
If i built a vessel shaped as a water molecule and made it neutrally buoyant with a counter sink (for stability and upright)- How would this preform in the ocean?
how would it act in high seas?
would it pass through a wave on a compressed arc or over it near its surface?
what would the reduction of speed be in comparison to a convential boat?
In the perfect storm (like the movie) would you be safer on a convental boat trawler etc.
or in a water molecule vessel of same size?

You mean shaped like this? Kind of a goofy looking boat, eh? [PLAIN]http://www.drymaxsocks.com/images/H2OMOLECULE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you thinking that because the boat is shaped like a water molecule and neutrally buoyant that it will behave just like all the other real water molecules around it? If so, you are wrong. Physics is not scale-invariant. A machine built at human size and an identical one built at bacteria size will not operate the same. One of example of this is surface to volume ratios. The surface area of a sphere is proportional to its radius squared while its volume is proportional to its radius cubed. A sphere's surface-to-volume ratio is 3/r. This means that bigger spheres have less surface area relative to their volume. That's why small drops of water hold their shape well due to surface tension despite gravity, but large drops of water do not.

My apologies all, (a bit about me- after a head injury everything (my memory) is mixed, jumbled, or missing, so most things have to be relearned (the joke is that i don't retain anything for more than a few days), I've been told that I was a inventor and even though i don't remember some things won't let you go (I hope no one else ever understands this statement).
I need a house (due to my condition) and wish to give my wife, who has never been anywhere outside a small town, her wishes to travel the world.
we have nothing but time, and in theory a floating house is ideal.

I realize that i will have to engauge a professional engineer to make all final specs. However at this stage I wish to explore if this is possibly a resonable idea...

attached is a design for a ocean going boat made out of lexan (bullet resistant plastic).
I want to use lexan for a few reasons- it can be lamanited to itself to any thickness and still remain transparent (theorically the sphere can be 1m or more in thickness), it is light weight, it can be repaired with lexan, resin or other bonding agent, easy to clean, etc...
the propolsion system etc... is omitted as its not needed.
I am looking for a few things from the design (based on a sphere is the strongest shape)-
size vrs space,
sealed compartments,
safety (impak, pressure etc...),
Any rogue wave or high seas (storms etc...) will hit the vessel and instead of it cutting through the wave, it submerges under the waves force and resurfaces, (i realize that there is turbulance and vessel will spin and roll 360 degs) but act like a cork (as long as the structure doesn't fail the vessel has to resurface at some point- decompressing a air ballast tank can control this.
If a room/compartment fails by cracking a dome shaped perspex can be sealed to the outside, the room pumped out and lexan or other resin can be utilised to make repairs.
360 deg view, from anywhere onboard.
A vessel that can be mored in a harbour and used for a house indeffently.
A vessel that can withstand nature and extreem seas.

the spheres need to be (ID) 2500mm min - However 3000mm is more to what we need to be comfortable.

Attachments

• post.PNG
    post.PNG
    31.8 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Are you serious? Why not just get or build a big boat and put a waterproof and airproof cover over it? It seems way easier and more realistic than building something like your example.

To be serious- and i may be wrong (nothing new these days)
If we placed both vessels under a perssure test I would bet your boat would structurally fail way before mine would, the length to width ratio of your ship would inherit a weakness in the center of the length... 1 reason for sealed bulkheads-
the nose (bow?) of all ships must be placed into the wave or it can capsize or roll, storms through out history has sunk the design.
If you know of any structural flaws (inherit or other), or other reason- design, sanity, etc... please give details.
I think there is some skill and knowledge needed to navagitate a ship safe & effictively with this increasing with a deteriating weather pattern.

Could being pushed around like a propelled cork (my design) be a improvement?
Could seniero's and possible mistakes etc.. that will sink a ship, sink my design?
Any debate on subjects is welcome.

Attachments

• post2.JPG
    post2.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Do you really think you are up to something like this after a head injury? What if you miscalculate or forget something?

anything is possible.
any one can miscalculate or forget- a engineer will have final say over specs
I hope he gets it right... also there is no harm of me using this as a mental exercise in design (which has resulted in a question "how would this preform" )
based on this design as long as the hatch is sealed then the vessel for argument is a "cork" sustaining being submerged by force of any wave breaking on it, any chance of a rogue wave, storm wave broad siding the vessel or forcing it under the surface by kenetic energy of white wash is accounted for even though it may be a wild ride...
as to the rest of it all I rely on my wife every day to remember and she as well has great interest in this and want to learn... by her reading these posts and others she is beginning to understand more of everything.

I guess the sub questions are now- is this a safer design (than a yaucht, or cruiser),
based on the principals of physics would it preform better or worse than conventional "boats" (when subjected to weather, drag, saftey, speed, preformance, etc...)
If your responce is to only question my preformance, I guess my design has potiential...
I'm only guessing- LOL.

Last edited:
Hi I'm wifey I am interested in this all
i am skeptical about most of this project all i know is corks float
my questions are (assuming we don't hit the bottom of the sea) what are the benefits of a boat over this design
what is the kenetic energy of white wash
why do these boats and ferries on the news sink and what would sink my husbands design- he says the only ways his design will sink is if the hatch is left open or 3 or more of the spheres break
could we get the bends if we go to far under water my husband says no because the lexan and shape will not compress enough and we will assend at the same rate as any bubble same as diving precautions
he says the spheres outside a control sphere will be pressurised it will be pumped in if we are submerged to long, he says it won't reduce the boyancy of the boat as the other rooms spheres heavier and when the air is decompressed they become lighter- is he right and why

1. How does the design of the water molecule vessel affect its performance in ocean conditions?

The design of the water molecule vessel plays a crucial role in its performance in ocean conditions. The vessel should be designed to have a streamlined shape and a low center of gravity to minimize resistance and maintain stability in rough waters.

2. What type of material is best for constructing a water molecule vessel for optimal performance in ocean conditions?

The material used for constructing a water molecule vessel should be lightweight, strong, and corrosion-resistant. Materials such as aluminum, fiberglass, and carbon fiber are commonly used for this purpose.

3. How important is the propulsion system in ensuring optimal performance of a water molecule vessel in ocean conditions?

The propulsion system is critical in determining the speed, maneuverability, and efficiency of a water molecule vessel in ocean conditions. A powerful and efficient propulsion system is necessary to navigate through strong currents and waves.

4. What measures can be taken to improve the stability of a water molecule vessel in rough ocean conditions?

To improve stability, a water molecule vessel can be equipped with stabilizing fins or ballast tanks that can be filled with water to increase the vessel's weight and lower its center of gravity. The vessel can also be designed with a wider beam or a deep-V hull to improve stability.

5. How does the size of a water molecule vessel affect its performance in ocean conditions?

The size of a water molecule vessel can greatly impact its performance in ocean conditions. A larger vessel is generally more stable and can handle rough waters better, but it also requires more power and fuel to operate. On the other hand, a smaller vessel may be more maneuverable and require less power, but it may not be as stable in rough conditions.