Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How would time run if???

1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    I have an interesting question for everyone I understand G.R. and S.R. fairly well without too much trouble. I know that if A is moving faster than B in a frame of reference. The clock for A will run slower compared to B's clock. My question is could there be some place in the universe where there is no movement and time spins out of control compared to the rest of the universe

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2016 #2
    (Uniform) motion is entirely relative, any inertial clock can be considered "stationary". Time dilation due to relative motion is mutual, clock A observes clock B ticking slower and clock B observes clock A ticking slower too.

4. Sep 14, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you understand SR and GR fairly well, then you will know yourself that your question makes no sense.

5. Sep 14, 2016 #4
    hmmm ok can we look at the universe as a single frame of reference?

6. Sep 14, 2016 #5
    I relativity all inertial frames or reference (IFR) are equivalent, there is no special or preferred IFR that is at absolute rest and relative to which one can measure absolute motion.
    In a flat spacetime (SR) all IFRs have global extent, in the real Universe which has curved spacetime (GR) all IFRs are local so there is no single one covering the entire Universe.

7. Sep 14, 2016 #6
    ok thank you that makes a little more sense to me and now i can see why the first question i asked did not make any sense

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted