Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you end the world?

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1

Jow

Just for fun, imagine that you are God of all creation and you accidentally create a little planet called Earth. Rather then destroy it you let it live, because you are a merciful God. When you come back, approximately 4 billion years later, you find that a species that call themselves humans have populated it. These are annoying, pestilent creatures and you decide to do away with them for the good of the universe. How would you kill the human race?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Jow.

Interesting question and my answer would be that I wouldn't kill them but simply make conditions change in a way so that the entire system and all subsets maintain some kind of harmonic balance even if that changes the spectrum of things that these "pesky" creatures are capable of.

The humans that demonstrate responsibility and conscientious attributes would have more potential than those who do not: this encourages particular kinds behaviour and discourages other less favorable kinds.

I have no idea why you would automatically come to the conclusion to wipe out an entire species rather than to carefully consider all possible choices that are in the interests of every aspect of the entire system simultaneously.

The one great thing (and great downfall ironically) about human beings is their potential: it can go both ways but if you found a way to harness the positive parts and minimize the not so positive parts then the net outcome would be far greater than a silly suggestion of "wiping them out" which really shows a lot of ignorance.

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3

Jow

I get your point and I agree with you completely. The reason I suggested wiping them out is because I thought it would be rather fun to think of all the ways to end the world. I wasn't even thinking about bettering humans, I was thinking about pure destruction (no I am not a psychopath, I was just thinking about the end of the world because of the whole Mayan thing). So anyway, I would make a huge wave that slowly crawled across the world (a few centimetres a day). That way it would be fun watching people slowly catch on, then having to move. Plus, the scientists would get all of their instruments out, examining the wave, but getting no where. It would be fun :) (One again, no I am not a psycho...my mother had me tested).

5. Jan 5, 2013 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Dog flu pandemic.

6. Jan 5, 2013 #5
    I am an omnimalevolent god therefore I will give them warp drives and bigger bombs so that they spread their pestilence all over the damned place.

7. Jan 5, 2013 #6

drizzle

Gold Member

Creat more Jows.

8. Jan 5, 2013 #7
    I'm sorry, I read that as something else.

9. Jan 5, 2013 #8
    But I love these annoying, pestilent creatures :smile:.

10. Jan 5, 2013 #9

Jow

I must respectfully disagree with you on that point. You have very little evidence to support your hypothesis. The only thing you can infer from this post about me is that I am slightly (maybe not so slightly) bizarre and that I think about odd things. The only thing you would be doing by making more people like me is creating more actors, writers, authors, musicians and scientists, most of whom make this world a better place. :)

11. Jan 5, 2013 #10

Jow

So do I, but have you honestly never thought about how you would destroy everything? These are the types of things that I think while walking to school. You should give it a try.

12. Jan 5, 2013 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

It is obviously tough to 'build' the human being. But destroy? Even a bug can do that. :wink:

13. Jan 5, 2013 #12

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Not with a bang, but a whimper.

14. Jan 6, 2013 #13

Drakkith

Everyone gets buried in cake!

15. Jan 6, 2013 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

16. Jan 6, 2013 #15
    My first choice would be trying to goad people to be better to one another, themselves and their surroundings.

But if all else fails, one of these:
    Change all the h2o to h2o2
    Start writing things in the clouds like "surrender Dorothy" and behave.
    Dragons, lots of dragons.
    Just blow it up to make way for a hyperspace bypass (because you have to build bypasses)
    I guess all of these could be done given the correct order.

17. Jan 6, 2013 #16
    It will be fun to reintroduce dinosaurs, Jurassic Park 4 with a different ending than what we saw in last movies :tongue2:

18. Jan 6, 2013 #17

Jow

And if they object they should have done a long time ago, after all the plans were on display.

19. Jan 6, 2013 #18
    I'm sorry, but if we can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's our own fault.

20. Jan 6, 2013 #19

Evo

You created them, just wave your hand and *poof* they're gone. Now the world can start healing from the man made destruction. If you're really a God, reverse everything they've done from the beginning and really fix things.

21. Jan 6, 2013 #20
    Play Rod Stewart until the earth blew itself up like a suicide bomber.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook