1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

How would you engineer the perfect human?

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you had complete control over the design of future humans, what would your design be? [no jokes about the perfect woman please] Assume that you have mastered genetic engineering.

2. jcsd
  3. well eugenics is a sensitive issue at best but why not, hypothetically speaking of course :wink:

if i had such power i would genetically engineer humans to be incapable of not feeling empathy, it would consist of an automatic response, ie reflex, to inflicting pain on others that would make the inflictor feel the same pain. in the early stages of developpment the child brain would be capable of processing the physical pain the child inflicts on others, but as the person grows up they would have no choice but go throught all the emotional, physical and pychological pain that they inflict upon any other person.

i'm too tipsy right now to consider the actual science of this dream, but i like it damn it! the world would be a better place... perchance to dream anyway

4. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i wouldn't change much except maybe put in a better immunity against disease...

5. That's funny you should mention this because I was talking with a girl last night at a party about something similar. She told me that if she were to create a better species of humans, she would put the brains of Europeans in the bodies of Africans.... So much for being politically correct.

eNtRopY

6. Perfection is relative, to me a perfect human would be very imperfect-absolute perfection is imperfection seeking perfection. The journey is more rewarding than the outcome, so no matter how advanced a species becomes they would long for challenge and novelty basically imperfection, it is when a species or individual is taxed to it's limits that it is pushed to evolve into something more. The thing I would change is life expectancy, although no one would ever live forever it would be nice to live 200 years instead of 75, provided it doesn't mean living in constant physical and mental deterioration.

7. it's a fair comment that humans would evolve if pushed to the brink of extinction:

what scares me is the thought that we will destroy oursleves before realising the fatality of our current way of life, the way we interact with the world and other humans, there's no hope!

8. In my Image!

9. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where there is life there is hope. Besides, ET is going to save us!

10. Better back. No food storage unless consisly told to.
    Get rid of unrealistic optimism so people can see real risks to themselves ie smoking (I won't get lung cancer)

11. jet propulsion that selectively comes out of some sort of extension in our leg...

12. Myabe you dont need to have an extension coming out from your leg, maybe you could use an already active part of the body for propulsion.

13. Inbuilt subordination to me.

14. lol and then you could get away from the wife anytime you wanted to...

15. well defined, clear, never fading emotion

16. nothing subconscious that affects feelings or thoughts

17. With an internal environment and external genetics.

18. Preprogrammed with an intuitive understanding of QM.

19. What? No "Weird Science" jokes? Nevertheless I think they had the right idea. :wink:

Neither could I help but believe they created the perfect human being, honest, as I'm sure a lot of other people would agree.

You're right, men are pigs! ... :wink:

20. thats what we are doing right now...or were doing before we made up standards with the money. It may be slow but evolution is possable the best way to suravay the world and remove the mistakes soem peopel made...

but if i had to decide the perfect human would be smart unactractive and have little emotions concerning love...this is so the human will work as my slave creating cutting edge technolgy...at low low prices

21. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're really Bill Gates aren't you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?