How to Graph Motion for Two People with Varied Speeds and Stops?

• Thread starter g65hy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, Person 1 starts out at rest, and Person 2 walks to their locker for 5 minutes at 12m/min South. Person 1 walks North towards P2's locker, which is halfway between their locker and the starting point, at 45m/min. Once P2 arrives at P1's locker, they both must walk to a local restaurant 750m South from the starting point. They try to get here in 6 minutes. P1 and P2 both take 2 minutes to reach their top speed. P1's top speed is 120m/min, and P2's top speed is 160m/min.
g65hy
Please provide coordinates on the following graph (or a picture if possible) as displacement vs time, velocity vs time, acceleration vs time, or all of these, which would be greatly appreciated

1) *P1 stays at rest for 7 minutes, *P2 stays at rest for 2 minutes

2) P2 walks to their locker for 5 minutes at 12m/min South

3) P2 walks North towards P1's locker, which is halfway between their locker and the starting point, at 45m/min

4) P1 walks to their locker (from the starting point) at 75m/min

5) Once P2 arrives at P1's locker, they both must walk to a local restaurant 750m South from the starting point. They try to get here in 6 minutes. P1 and P2 both take 2 minutes to reach their top speed. P1's top speed is 120m/min, and P2's top speed is 160m/min.

*P1 = Person 1
*P2 = Person 2

Thanks, and this would really mean a lot
My attempt:

P1:

P2:

I have no idea how to do an acceleration vs time graph of this by the way

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot do your homework for you. You must show your attempts so that we can advise. This is as per PF rules, which you (and any responders) read and agreed to. Members attempting to provide answers without you showing your attempts can, have been and will be given infractions.

Okay I will try my best to explain it...When person one is not in motion and just standing still you represent it on a Position vs Time graph as a horizontal line, because he is not moving but time is elapsing. Like wise for velocity time graph because P1 is not in motion and is standing still you will draw the horizontal line on the orgin as time is elapsing but his velocity is 0. Also to keep in mind based on common coordinate system right is positive and left is negative. Hope that gives you some perspective. If that still doesn't help I will than try to explain using your examples. I want to see if you can understand it without actually showing you the answer.

Try downloading a program called sigma plot...it will help you graph it or use excel

I don't think I will be able to use a program like that, I'm only in high school, but I'll try

But could you run me through the steps so I can get this right because this is worth a lot of marks, and if I get one step wrong, the rest of the graph will be marked wrong

Thanks

Last edited:
99d8b8ec-5428-4259-ab6a-99c47957c1d5.gif

Can you tell me what each line is doing? if so, this will help you greatly. Here in Physics forums we can't really do the homework for you but I will try my best to help you get it right :)

A is going back to the source
B is going away from the source
C is staying at rest with an offset
D is slowing going a way from the source
-All velocities are constant

What I'm most confused about is how to do #5 so if you could show me how to do that part, that would be great

For points 7.66666666,270 (P1) and 7.666666666,390 (P2), I put a curve for acceleration but I don't know if this is right because the next part of each line just continues as if I never put a curve there (it is completely straight). What should I do?

Last edited:
Well they both accelerate at first so it would curve up to 2 minutes, after that for another 4 minutes its a straight line as they continue to walk at there top speed.

I know that, I don't think you're reading my whole post or maybe you're just ignoring most of it

Well I answered your question regarding #5. Of course I will not tell you the exact answer to the question as that is no help to you. I might be misunderstanding what your really trying to ask. I apologize if I caused any confusion.

1. How do I choose the appropriate type of graph for my data?

To choose the appropriate type of graph, you should consider the type of data you have, the purpose of the graph, and the message you want to convey. Some common types of graphs include bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts.

2. How do I label my graph?

When labeling your graph, make sure to include a title that accurately describes the data being presented. You should also label the x and y axes with clear and concise descriptions of the variables being measured. Additionally, include a legend if your graph includes multiple data sets or categories.

3. How do I choose the appropriate scale for my graph?

The scale of your graph should be chosen based on the range and distribution of your data. It is important to choose a scale that accurately represents the data while also clearly showing any patterns or trends. You can use a linear or logarithmic scale depending on the type of data being presented.

4. How do I plot my data accurately on the graph?

To plot your data accurately, make sure to use the correct units and scale on each axis. Use a ruler or graphing software to ensure precise measurements. Additionally, double-check your data points to make sure they are correctly placed on the graph.

5. How do I make my graph visually appealing and easy to interpret?

To make your graph visually appealing and easy to interpret, use clear and easy-to-read fonts and colors. Avoid clutter and unnecessary elements on the graph, and make sure to include any necessary labels or legends. You can also use labels or annotations to highlight important data points or trends.