Creating a Spinning Magnet Motor with Stationary Grey Area: A DIY Guide

• Thread starter philvia
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a design for a potential motor involving magnets. The grey area is meant to be stationary while the outer circle spins, and the black and red dots represent magnets. There is a question about whether a diagram or online resources exist to help with building the motor, and a comment about the potential for it to be a perpetual motion device. The conversation also mentions the necessity of energy to make the motor spin and the unavailability of energy in magnets. There is a warning against putting too much time into the project and a suggestion to look at permanent magnet motors for guidance.
philvia
the grey area is stationary and the outer circle should spin.. the black and red dots are magnets

magnets.jpg

is there a diagram anywhere online or something? i tried searching and i couldn't really find anything except 6th grade science projects :p
and before anyone asks... noooo this isn't homework lol

Engineering news on Phys.org
philvia said:
the grey area is stationary and the outer circle should spin.. the black and red dots are magnets

magnets.jpg

is there a diagram anywhere online or something? i tried searching and i couldn't really find anything except 6th grade science projects :p

Is this a type of motor? If so, you would need some way of varying the angles between the magnets and a means of putting energy into the motor.

i guess it could be a motor :p

so it IS possible? if the magnets were aligned exactly, would it need any energy to keep it spinning, or would the + - pull/push on the magnets keep it going?

No, it would not. It would quickly move into the position shown and then stay there, putting up a fair amount of resistance to any movement. So, you would have to put in some energy just to make it spin and it would not do any useful work for you.

The energy in magnets is generally unavailable; you can sort of think of it as being similar to the Earth's gravitational potential energy which is only available by being placed in a certain position. Once that position doesn't exist, you have to do work to put it back.

philvia said:

magnets.jpg

This looks suspicously like a design for a perpetual motion device.

If you're in this for entertainment, great. But don't put valuable time into it.

(And don't expexct this thread to stay open long.)

so no one knows of a diagram or something i could look at to help me build this??

and its not perpetual motion, though that would be cool :p

Sure. Look at any permanent magnet motor. TVP45's post is very helpful if you read it completely.

1. How would you make this experiment more precise?

To make an experiment more precise, I would first ensure that all equipment and materials are calibrated and accurate. I would also increase the sample size and use controls to eliminate any variables that could affect the results. Additionally, I would repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistency.

2. How would you make this process more efficient?

To make a process more efficient, I would first analyze each step to identify any areas that could be streamlined or eliminated. I would also consider using automation or technology to speed up the process. Collaboration and delegation can also help to improve efficiency.

3. How would you make this product more cost-effective?

To make a product more cost-effective, I would first evaluate the materials and methods used in production. I would look for ways to reduce waste and optimize resources. I would also consider alternative materials or processes that could lower production costs without compromising quality.

4. How would you make this study more comprehensive?

To make a study more comprehensive, I would first ensure that the research question is clearly defined and the sample size is adequate. I would also consider using multiple methods or approaches to gather data and analyze the results. Including diverse perspectives and conducting follow-up studies can also help to make a study more comprehensive.

5. How would you make this experiment more ethical?

To make an experiment more ethical, I would first conduct a thorough risk assessment and obtain informed consent from all participants. I would also ensure that the experiment does not cause harm or distress to humans, animals, or the environment. If necessary, I would consult with an ethics committee or follow ethical guidelines set by professional organizations.