Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How would you pronounce ħ?

1. Jan 13, 2017 #1
    I'm translating a fascinating science movie script, and there is ħ - Planck's constant in it. That text will be read aloud, so I cannot just write ħ, because the speaker will choke. He/she will probably have little idea about physics.

Is it true, that only ħ (in italics), the reduced Planck's constant, is pronounced h-bar? If so, how do you spell the regular ħ?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I've seen odd questions in the many years I've been here, but this has got to rank among the top.

Shouldn't they be pronounced the SAME way? The only difference is the typesetting. That has "no sound". Can you produce a citation where the italics and non-italics symbols have different pronunciation and represents different things?

Zz.

4. Jan 13, 2017 #3
    OK Not sure why, but I thought ħ is Planck's constant, and ħ is reduced Planck's constant. You are dealing with a laywoman here. I know better now, and I'd be happy if someone would delete this thread. o:)

5. Jan 13, 2017 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I understand the question right, it is pronounced "h bar".

6. Jan 13, 2017 #5

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Planck's constant is ##h##, the reduced Planck constant is ##\hbar = \frac{h}{2\pi}##.

7. Jan 13, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just plain ##h## is Planck's constant. In Quantum Mechanics ##h## appears divided by ##2\pi## all the time. At some point, someone must have got fed up writing ##\frac{h}{2\pi}##, and the reduced Planck's constant came about: "h-bar" ##\hbar = \frac{h}{2\pi}##.

8. Jan 13, 2017 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

one of my professors called it h-a-srash

9. Jan 13, 2017 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No need to delete -- it has been useful to summarize the difference...
    :smile:

10. Jan 13, 2017 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Getting used to this nerdy culture, Emily :smile: ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted