West Texas A&M Math Curriculum: Is it Worth It?

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation focuses on the math curriculum at West Texas A&M University and whether or not it is a good institution for someone interested in becoming a mathematician. Some participants express concerns about the small number and qualifications of the faculty, while others suggest that a motivated student can excel in any program. The list of math courses offered at the university is also discussed, with some participants expressing their opinions on what makes a good math program. The conversation ends with a request for further advice and clarification on the list of courses.
sutupidmath
How would you guys rate West Texas A&M University among other institutions, considering their math curriculum. IS it a worth institute to go to, if i want to be a mathematician?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a very small amount of faculty (according to the website, 7), and the schools they attended are not very good. So I would guess that the math program there is not very good as well.

However, it is up to you. You are not limited to doing just what the program asks of you. And I am sure that the professors there would be willing to teach a motivated student.

mattmns said:
There is a very small amount of faculty (according to the website, 7), and the schools they attended are not very good. So I would guess that the math program there is not very good as well.

However, it is up to you. You are not limited to doing just what the program asks of you. And I am sure that the professors there would be willing to teach a motivated student.

i am attaching a list of the courses that they offer in mathematics, so what do you think, and what would you suggest to me??

These are the courses that they seem to offer, i took this list from their catalog.

Attachments

• MATH.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
In my opinion, it doesn't offer enough in upper division courses. I don't think it would be bad to get calc I-III done, but it isn't a place to study more mathemaitcs.

I've lived in Texas all my life and I've never heard of it.

Bitter said:
In my opinion, it doesn't offer enough in upper division courses. I don't think it would be bad to get calc I-III done, but it isn't a place to study more mathemaitcs.

SO Can you pleas list some of the courses that a university has to offer, in mathematics, in order to be listed as a good one? I would really appreciate it.

Edited: I also think this university offers some courses in Introduction to Topology.

Last edited:
Well, that really depends on what kind of math you want to do. My school offers a lot of advance stat courses. I know others that offer a lot of algebra and geometry courses and there are those that offer more upper division calculus type courses. It really depends on the kind of math you like.

Plus you say in another thread that you're already going to be attending that University. It might be a better thread to ask what sort of mathematical subjects people would recommend given your interests. Tell us what you like so far, and we'll point out the 'good' ones, it's all subjective, however.

well, definitely i like analysis, and everything that is related to it. I do not really know what topology is about, but i have heard people saying that it is a good branch of math, so probbably i am going to try that too. But analysis is my goal, and i think that's where i will focus on.

fasterthanjoao said:
Plus you say in another thread that you're already going to be attending that University.

Yeah i know i said that, however i have one or two other options, i just thought this university fits me better, that's why i waanted to know your opinions on that.
Because i thought this un offers more courses in analysis, like Calculus I, Calculus II, Calculus III, Diferental Equations I, Diferental Equations II, Complex Variables I, Advanced Calculus, Introduction to Numerical Analysis, Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial DIfferential Equations, Complex Analysis I, Real Analysis I, Real Analysis II, NUmerical Analysis I, NUmerical Analysis II.

SO i thought they would be enough, what do you think?
I really need to know.

Edited: I am just trying to get a clear view of it.

So, no one is going to give me some further advices?

The first 7 classes you listed should be offered at every school that has a math program (you should have Linear algebra in there as well). The last 7 are all graduate classes I believe, so I am not sure how many of those you can take as an undergrad. You should ask some of the professors at your school about their program as they will know better than us.

mattmns the last seven on sutupidmath's list are not graduate courses. For my undergraduate math degree I was required to take real analysis 1 and 2, complex analysis, numerical analysis, abstract algebra, and many other upper level classes. I think that real analysis, complex analysis, and abstract algebra are a must in an undergraduate program along with other upper level math electives in your area of interest.

you can start anywhere to become a mathematician.

buzzmath said:
mattmns the last seven on sutupidmath's list are not graduate courses. For my undergraduate math degree I was required to take real analysis 1 and 2, complex analysis, numerical analysis, abstract algebra, and many other upper level classes. I think that real analysis, complex analysis, and abstract algebra are a must in an undergraduate program along with other upper level math electives in your area of interest.

In the list of classes he attached above, the last 7 classes are all "6000" level, while the first 7 are all "3000,4000" level. I am not sure what your school goes with, but I believe the 6000 level classes are the traditional graduate sequences you would take for a master's degree, while the 3000-4000 are the standard classes for an undergrad degree.

1. What makes the West Texas A&M math curriculum unique?

The West Texas A&M math curriculum is unique in that it combines traditional mathematical concepts with real-world applications. This allows students to develop a deep understanding of mathematical principles while also gaining practical skills that can be applied in various industries.

2. How does the West Texas A&M math curriculum prepare students for future careers?

The curriculum at West Texas A&M is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in mathematics, which is essential for many careers in fields such as engineering, finance, and data analysis. Additionally, the curriculum includes courses that focus on problem-solving and critical thinking, which are highly valued skills in the job market.

3. Are there opportunities for research and hands-on experience in the West Texas A&M math curriculum?

Yes, the West Texas A&M math curriculum offers opportunities for undergraduate research and hands-on experience through projects, internships, and co-op programs. This allows students to apply their knowledge in real-world settings and gain valuable skills and experience that can enhance their future career prospects.

4. How does the West Texas A&M math curriculum compare to other universities?

The West Texas A&M math curriculum is highly regarded and has been recognized for its quality by organizations such as the American Mathematical Society. The curriculum is continuously updated to incorporate the latest advancements in the field of mathematics, and it offers a diverse range of courses to cater to the individual interests and goals of students.

5. Is the West Texas A&M math curriculum worth the investment?

The value of the West Texas A&M math curriculum extends far beyond the cost of tuition. With a strong curriculum, dedicated faculty, and numerous opportunities for hands-on experience, students can expect to receive a high-quality education that prepares them for successful careers in various fields. Additionally, the university offers scholarships and financial aid to help make the curriculum more affordable for students.