1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you rate

1. Apr 27, 2007 #1
    How would you guys rate West Texas A&M University among other institutions, considering their math curriculum. IS it a worth institute to go to, if i want to be a mathematician?????
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2007 #2
    There is a very small amount of faculty (according to the website, 7), and the schools they attended are not very good. So I would guess that the math program there is not very good as well.

However, it is up to you. You are not limited to doing just what the program asks of you. And I am sure that the professors there would be willing to teach a motivated student.
  4. Apr 27, 2007 #3
    i am attaching a list of the courses that they offer in mathematics, so what do you think, and what would you suggest to me??

These are the courses that they seem to offer, i took this list from their catalog.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  5. Apr 27, 2007 #4
    In my opinion, it doesn't offer enough in upper division courses. I don't think it would be bad to get calc I-III done, but it isn't a place to study more mathemaitcs.
  6. Apr 27, 2007 #5
    I've lived in Texas all my life and I've never heard of it.
  7. Apr 28, 2007 #6
    SO Can you pleas list some of the courses that a university has to offer, in mathematics, in order to be listed as a good one??? I would really appreciate it.

Edited: I also think this university offers some courses in Introduction to Topology.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  8. Apr 28, 2007 #7
    Well, that really depends on what kind of math you want to do. My school offers a lot of advance stat courses. I know others that offer a lot of algebra and geometry courses and there are those that offer more upper division calculus type courses. It really depends on the kind of math you like.
  9. Apr 28, 2007 #8
    Plus you say in another thread that you're already going to be attending that University. It might be a better thread to ask what sort of mathematical subjects people would recommend given your interests. Tell us what you like so far, and we'll point out the 'good' ones, it's all subjective, however.
  10. Apr 28, 2007 #9
    well, definitely i like analysis, and everything that is related to it. I do not really know what topology is about, but i have heard people saying that it is a good branch of math, so probbably i am gonna try that too. But analysis is my goal, and i think that's where i will focus on.
  11. Apr 29, 2007 #10
    Yeah i know i said that, however i have one or two other options, i just thought this university fits me better, thats why i waanted to know your opinions on that.
    Because i thought this un offers more courses in analysis, like Calculus I, Calculus II, Calculus III, Diferental Equations I, Diferental Equations II, Complex Variables I, Advanced Calculus, Introduction to Numerical Analysis, Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial DIfferential Equations, Complex Analysis I, Real Analysis I, Real Analysis II, NUmerical Analysis I, NUmerical Analysis II.

SO i thought they would be enough, what do you think?????
    I really need to know.

Edited: I am just trying to get a clear view of it.
  12. Apr 30, 2007 #11
    So, no one is going to give me some further advices???
  13. Apr 30, 2007 #12
    The first 7 classes you listed should be offered at every school that has a math program (you should have Linear algebra in there as well). The last 7 are all graduate classes I believe, so I am not sure how many of those you can take as an undergrad. You should ask some of the professors at your school about their program as they will know better than us.
  14. May 1, 2007 #13
    mattmns the last seven on sutupidmath's list are not graduate courses. For my undergraduate math degree I was required to take real analysis 1 and 2, complex analysis, numerical analysis, abstract algebra, and many other upper level classes. I think that real analysis, complex analysis, and abstract algebra are a must in an undergraduate program along with other upper level math electives in your area of interest.
  15. May 1, 2007 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

you can start anywhere to become a mathematician.
  16. May 1, 2007 #15
    In the list of classes he attached above, the last 7 classes are all "6000" level, while the first 7 are all "3000,4000" level. I am not sure what your school goes with, but I believe the 6000 level classes are the traditional graduate sequences you would take for a master's degree, while the 3000-4000 are the standard classes for an undergrad degree.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?