Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you use time-travel ?

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1
    This is not a thread to discuss whether time-travel is possible. Let us assume time-travel machines are available at low prices in our local stores :approve:

What would you do ?

How about meet Mozart or Beethoven, and broadcast in their hears some Shostakovich :rofl: The poor guys were both so proud of themselves, they would probably get a stroke from that :uhh: Maybe I could figure out something more useful.

Please post your ideas, serious or not :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2
    i'd tweak something to make myself rich, like swithing the kings baby with the baby me, then i would be king...

WHAT I'M A KING WOOHOOO *parades around the living room in boxers*

4. Sep 13, 2004 #3
    I wouldn't use it... I'd be too scared of breaking something in the past!

5. Sep 13, 2004 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The first thing I would do is go back and tell myself about all the bad decisions I shouldn't make.

I love ancient history and there are so many things I would love to observe. I can't begin to choose. There are so many mysteries. I could find out who built the pyramids and stonehenge and why. I could experience lost civilizations. <sigh>

So many questions I have could be answered.

6. Sep 13, 2004 #5
    I'd like to go back and reserve a table at a certain restaurant where Evo once had a dinner date...

7. Sep 13, 2004 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: :surprised :rofl:

8. Sep 13, 2004 #7
    Hey, I'll hand you some duct tape (afterwards, of course).

9. Sep 13, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why ? So she can tape the mouth of the only witness, and quietly kidnap him away in her time machine and leave him bound and gagged on the summit of mount Vesuvius ?

10. Sep 13, 2004 #9
    I'd keep needless things from happening and I'd use the machine it to benefit myself financially.

-Buy MS DOS
    -Visit Xerox Parc before Jobs and Wozniak did. Hire some friends and programmers, create "Orange Computer"
    -Warn 2Pac before he died. Of course, he already knew he would die from shootings.
    -Invent Pokemon

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  11. Sep 14, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would go back to the Library at Alexandria and distribute fire extinguisers; or maybe spend a few years there with a digital camera before it burned.

Did you know they had yet another fire! Will they ever learn???

Edit: Oh wait, that's just a really old headline. :biggrin:

12. Sep 14, 2004 #11
    I'd deliberately do something that causes a logical paradox, just to see what happens!

13. Sep 14, 2004 #12
    Stonehenge is just a very big clock. :rofl:

I would use it to learn from great composers, as humanino suggested. Also to have that great pizza again, without paying for another. :rofl:

The Bob (2004 ©)

14. Sep 14, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

I would go back in time, and slap myself silly for some of the stupid things I said. Of course, I wouldnt believe myself so it would be pointless trying to tell myself about future problems. I'm a jackass like that.

15. Sep 14, 2004 #14
    Sounds about right. :rofl: :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

16. Sep 14, 2004 #15
    vidio tape record the TRUE happenings
    that the big three religions of Abraham are based on
    like what realy happened to JC's body
    and mohamad's tooo
    then what jew would be the one to tape??
    and their dates are fuzzyer too

anyway bust the fairtales and hope for a more peacefull world
    as a result of less belivers

17. Sep 14, 2004 #16
    Ivan is not randomly a mentor : his proposal is great.
    Join BoulderHead's table if all PF member do not already crowded it seems fine too.

Make sure Adolf really commited suicide, or maybe give him a hand before a commited all the mess
    Take a ride on a dinosaur, presumably a T-Rex
    Do not yield temptation to warn Schubert finish his symphony
    Search for the Atlantide, and possibly be disappointed
    Bring medicines to Ramanujan, and a bulletproof jacket to Galois
    Meet the young Evo so she can't pretend I am too young :tongue2:

18. Sep 14, 2004 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bravo ! Bravo !

19. Sep 14, 2004 #18
    I think that I would go ahead in time and try and find out what needs to be done now to fix future problems. Perhaps use the video tape idea to try and convince the powers that be to do what needs to be done.

As for the past, I too would love to know how the pyramids were created.

20. Sep 14, 2004 #19
    I'd visit ancient babylon, just because I'm curious how life was back then & there. I'd then meet famous, influential people, like Mohammad, Jesus, Abraham, Euler, etc.

After all that, I'd go back to the Arabian desert sometime between 500-800 A.D. and become a legendary warrior-poet. :tongue2:

21. Sep 14, 2004 #20
    Amazing : only Artman so far would care visiting the future. All the others would first give a check in the past...

EDIT : is it due to the initial formulation of the question ? This is not so for me, but...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?