1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How'd you find PF?

1. google :biggrin:

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. friend told me

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. other :uhh:

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. May 29, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

just wondering, how did you find PF?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2005 #2
    coincidence

i was looking for info on T-duality and i googled for that specific term...i winded up here, that is all

marlon

4. May 29, 2005 #3
    i googled, "interesting, intelligent, magic, fun, math, conversation" this was either the first or second hit.

5. May 29, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

and why did you google "interesting, intelligent, magic, fun, math, conversation"?

Anyway, I was looking for information on multi-dimensional space and found an archive page. After I read it, I went to the original site, physics forums. I had a question so I joined. Then started to dwell in the thread killers thread.

6. May 29, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I didn't know how to find stuff back then. I tried to use the search thing on my Telus home page and I think it somehow routed me to Google and I ended up in GP while trying to find a formula for something. I started snooping around because it was so interesting, then Brewnog noticed that I was perhaps too much of a joker to stay on the outside and brought me down here.

7. May 29, 2005 #6
    I googled "physics forum". I had quetions.

8. May 29, 2005 #7
    i was really bored, and especially lonely. i had just moved to a new area in the middle of no where. i had gone to like aol chats trying to keep busy, but they were annoying and everyone just wanted to cyber a ton. so then i wanted to find like, themed chat rooms that were serious... i couldn't find them on aol or msn, so i just googled that. i had never even thought of a fourm before... i'm sure i would've ended up here one way or another though.

9. May 29, 2005 #8
    Same as you Guys... I wanted an answer to something that was puzzling me and Googling my question bought me to PF. As a Physics teacher, but non Physicist (Engineering and Materials studied at Uni) I often need info on subjects that are beyond my own knowledge. There really is no better site than this.

After many visits I discovered the General Discussion forum... I've been a regular visitor ever since.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  10. May 29, 2005 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Same as Zoob. I had something to investigate, searched 'physics forums', and this was the first result. Pity the original question could well have been interpreted as a crackpot theory (ok, it was a crackpot theory) but I've grown since then (at least I hope.)

11. May 29, 2005 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't remember :cry:

12. May 29, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. May 29, 2005 #12
    Hmm.. that posting was a Classic Gokul.. How could you ever have forgotten! :rofl: :rofl:

14. May 29, 2005 #13
    Doh! I just looked up my first posting... :rolleyes:

It was pants!

15. May 29, 2005 #14

jma2001

Gold Member

I was searching Google for information on Mathematica and Maple. I operate a couple of web sites and by far the most common way for someone to find them is through a Google search.

16. May 29, 2005 #15
    i looked up mine too, cause of gokul... mine was a masturbation post...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=53135#post53135

that thread was closed fast though....

wow, all the rest of my first posts... wow... i've changed SOOO much... that all seems like ages ago.

17. May 29, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

18. May 29, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was in dire need of some hydraulics help for a project I was in over my head on. Googled engineering forums, and this was the best of a bad bunch.

I've still not had a reply to my first question...

19. May 29, 2005 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Fell through a vortex that the physics guys created while dicking around in the lab. :biggrin:

Actually, Orstio (a PF member and admin at Everything-Science) told me about this place. He thought I'd fit in.

20. May 29, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone was arguing about something science-y on another site (I can't even remember what one or what the topic was) and linked to a discussion here to support their argument. I started poking around and after reading a while decided to sign up and stay.

21. May 29, 2005 #20

JamesU

Gold Member

I wasn't asking you moonbear :mad: :biggrin: :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?