Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How'd you find PF?

1. google :biggrin:

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. friend told me

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. other :uhh:

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. May 29, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

just wondering, how did you find PF?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2005 #2
    coincidence

i was looking for info on T-duality and i googled for that specific term...i winded up here, that is all

marlon

4. May 29, 2005 #3
    i googled, "interesting, intelligent, magic, fun, math, conversation" this was either the first or second hit.

5. May 29, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

and why did you google "interesting, intelligent, magic, fun, math, conversation"?

Anyway, I was looking for information on multi-dimensional space and found an archive page. After I read it, I went to the original site, physics forums. I had a question so I joined. Then started to dwell in the thread killers thread.

6. May 29, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I didn't know how to find stuff back then. I tried to use the search thing on my Telus home page and I think it somehow routed me to Google and I ended up in GP while trying to find a formula for something. I started snooping around because it was so interesting, then Brewnog noticed that I was perhaps too much of a joker to stay on the outside and brought me down here.

7. May 29, 2005 #6
    I googled "physics forum". I had quetions.

8. May 29, 2005 #7
    i was really bored, and especially lonely. i had just moved to a new area in the middle of no where. i had gone to like aol chats trying to keep busy, but they were annoying and everyone just wanted to cyber a ton. so then i wanted to find like, themed chat rooms that were serious... i couldn't find them on aol or msn, so i just googled that. i had never even thought of a fourm before... i'm sure i would've ended up here one way or another though.

9. May 29, 2005 #8
    Same as you Guys... I wanted an answer to something that was puzzling me and Googling my question bought me to PF. As a Physics teacher, but non Physicist (Engineering and Materials studied at Uni) I often need info on subjects that are beyond my own knowledge. There really is no better site than this.

After many visits I discovered the General Discussion forum... I've been a regular visitor ever since.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  10. May 29, 2005 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Same as Zoob. I had something to investigate, searched 'physics forums', and this was the first result. Pity the original question could well have been interpreted as a crackpot theory (ok, it was a crackpot theory) but I've grown since then (at least I hope.)

11. May 29, 2005 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't remember :cry:

12. May 29, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. May 29, 2005 #12
    Hmm.. that posting was a Classic Gokul.. How could you ever have forgotten! :rofl: :rofl:

14. May 29, 2005 #13
    Doh! I just looked up my first posting... :rolleyes:

It was pants!

15. May 29, 2005 #14

jma2001

Gold Member

I was searching Google for information on Mathematica and Maple. I operate a couple of web sites and by far the most common way for someone to find them is through a Google search.

16. May 29, 2005 #15
    i looked up mine too, cause of gokul... mine was a masturbation post...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=53135#post53135

that thread was closed fast though....

wow, all the rest of my first posts... wow... i've changed SOOO much... that all seems like ages ago.

17. May 29, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

18. May 29, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was in dire need of some hydraulics help for a project I was in over my head on. Googled engineering forums, and this was the best of a bad bunch.

I've still not had a reply to my first question...

19. May 29, 2005 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Fell through a vortex that the physics guys created while dicking around in the lab. :biggrin:

Actually, Orstio (a PF member and admin at Everything-Science) told me about this place. He thought I'd fit in.

20. May 29, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone was arguing about something science-y on another site (I can't even remember what one or what the topic was) and linked to a discussion here to support their argument. I started poking around and after reading a while decided to sign up and stay.

21. May 29, 2005 #20

JamesU

Gold Member

I wasn't asking you moonbear :mad: :biggrin: :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?