Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Howdy Folks! :-)

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    Howdy all,

My name is Shawn! I am the newbie (at the moment) on this forum and to Math and Physics. I am 24 years of age (25 in six days) and I live in southern Illinois, USA. My current employment is coal mining.

I would like to learn math and physics. I own various Meteorology forums and for a love of forum administration, I thought I would go ahead and turn to a forum for help with math and so forth, and this one caught my attention.

For many years I have had an extreme passion for Meteorology and Climate interests. I am a long time storm chaser and SKYWARN storm spotter. I was going to college for Criminal Justice to be a cop but I have lost interest in it. I really really really want to go to school for Meteorology but I am not good at math, so I figured if I put my mind to it and tried hard, I can learn it easily because I'd love to go into Meteorology as a career.

Thank you for having me and I hope to learn a lot here :D

Kind Regards,
    Shawn Gossman

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF Shawn! You're right that it's a lot easier to learn a subject when you're really interested in it and have a goal in sight. And you'll find plenty of help around PF as you work toward that goal.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Shawn. You will find plenty of help here.

If you have any good storm-chaser photos, please feel free to share. :tongue2:

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    Hi Shawn, nice to have you here.

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5
    Welcome. You'll like it here, everybody is extremely helpful.

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Welcome and ditto on the storm-photos.

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome aboard, Shawn.
    I'm afraid that I won't be of any help to you, since the only meteorology that I studied was when I was flying. That was 36 years ago, so I've obviously forgotten everything that I knew then. :frown:
    Still, you are definitely in the right place to learn anything. If nobody knows the answer to something, they'll link you to a solution. You have world-class experts at your disposal.
    As long as you're nice to everyone, even during disputes, you have a home here.

9. Aug 10, 2009 #8
    Way to make us all jealous.

I don't know how much maths you will need for Meteorology but nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it. I would recommend doing the exercises in the books (or online) that you read. Otherwise you may end up like me, forgetting what I learned 5 days ago.

I wish you the best of luck and I really hope you will catch your dream.

10. Aug 11, 2009 #9

Danger

Gold Member

On the contrary. I got grounded on a medical before I even got properly started. In those days, you couldn't hold a license if you were diabetic. I am no longer diabetic, but there's no way in the world that I could afford to take it up again. Back then, you rented the aeroplane for $20/hour, and the instruction was free. By that I mean that if you were a licensed pilot and wanted to rent an aeroplane, it cost $20/hour. The fee was exactly the same for lessons. The ones here that I'm envious of (not jealous, since that implies some resentment) are Andre, Cyrus, Fred, Integral, and a couple of others who actually get to strap on the iron birds and go sky-dancing.

11. Aug 11, 2009 #10
    Welcome Shawn!! You are going to love it here :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook