1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How's amplitude of a wave related to the slit width

1. Apr 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How is the amplitude of a wave affected if the slit separation remains same but slit width is
    1.)Increased?
    2.)Decreased?
    and why?

2. Relevant equations
    Intensity is proportional to the square of amplitude

3. The attempt at a solution
    I consider the amplitude as allowed "fatness" of a wave. The more slit width there is, the more wave can be "fat" and so it will have a greater amplitude.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2016 #2
    As you wrote intensity is proportional to the square of amplitude.
    Do you know the relation between intensity of wave and the width of slits?
    The intensity of light due to a slit (source of light) is directly proportional to width of the slit.
    Therefore if the two slits ##S_1## & ##S_2## have widths ##W_1## & ##W_2## respectively and ##I_1## & ##I_2## are intensities of light waves having amplitude ##a_1## and ##a_2## from respective slits then,

##\frac{I_1}{1_2}## ∝ ##\frac{a_1^2}{a_2^2}## ∝ ##\frac{W_1}{W_2}##

4. Apr 20, 2016 #3
    Yes, I know that. I am asking why does the amplitude increases with increasing slit width

5. Apr 20, 2016 #4
    In single slit diffraction calculations, the resultant amplitude is obtained by dividing the slit width into a large number of equal segments. For each segment, the amplitude is taken proportionally equal and the resultant amplitude is found by superposition of amplitudes of all the segments at the point of consideration.
    So amplitude should be proportional to slit width.

6. Apr 20, 2016 #5
    diffraction.png

Can you see division of the slit width into a large number of equal segments?

7. Apr 24, 2016 #6
    Was my answer helpful?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted