Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How's the earth bigger than the moon

1. Dec 26, 2003 #1

Mk

In the picture of the earth from the moon I have here:

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/20117422.jpg

If the earth is the same distance away from the moon as the moon is from earth (making it clear) and the earth is so much bigger why is the earth so small in the picture while the moon is so big in the sky. Yes, the earth is is blown in two and the other half got suck into a black hole. But, you can still see how big the earth is since the earth is round.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Am I correct that this is a joke? (Yes, I must be very dense to have to ask this question. It actually wasn't until I read the "Yes, the earth is is blown in two and the other half got suck into a black hole." part that I tumbled to it!)

4. Dec 26, 2003 #3

Mk

Yes the last part was a joke but the picture is real, why's the earth smaller than the moon.

[​IMG]

5. Dec 26, 2003 #4
    If you're serious...

You can't go by a photograph. If a photograph was taken using a lens with a comparatively small focal length, then the Earth will appear small. If you use a lens with a larger focal length, the Earth will appear bigger. Think of a zoom lens.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  6. Dec 26, 2003 #5

Mk

Intresting...

No further questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?