Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How's the superposed waves are moving?

1. May 8, 2012 #1

KFC

Hi there,
    Suppose there are two plane waves with different wavevector and frequency, the superposition of these waves give
    [tex]\phi(x, t) = 2\cos(k'x + w't)\cos(k''x + w''t)[/tex]
    with
    [tex]k'=(k_1+k_2)/2, w'=(w_1+w_2)/2[/tex]

[tex]k''=(k_1-k_2)/2, w''=(w_1-w_2)/2[/tex]

here [tex]\cos(k''x + w''t)[/tex] gives the oscillation and [tex]\cos(k'x + w't)[/tex] is the envelope. My question is if I look at the very first crest when x=0, t=0 and I attach a "point" to that. How can I trace the movement of that point? Can we just look at [tex]\cos(k''x + w''t)[/tex] and say that the every point is moving at the phase velocity w''/k''? I am not sure the physics behind that but seems it is not correct. But with several trials, I find that it seems the point (crest of the second cosine for example) is moving at the speed [tex](w'+w'')/(k'+k'')[/tex], is that correct? why?

I want to trace the crest point and I know that the magnitude of the crest is changing on the envelope and it is correct at different time and space. So I initially fix the initial position xi = 0; yi = 2; for the crest. Then by enumerating the time, we can find the new x and new y for the crest as

x = (w'+w'')/(k'+k'')*t;
    y = 2*cos(k'x + w't);

but when I plot this point at different t, it doesn't really move as I expect. Any idea how to trace a point? I want to plot something like the red point shown here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wave_group.gif

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted