HP 50g - Loading Programs, Symbolic Calculus

In summary: It's a great resource for learning how to use your HP50G. In summary, there are ways to load programs onto the HP50G, use symbolic integration, and find helpful resources for using the calculator effectively.
DieCommie
Hello,
I have purchased the HP50g and am liking it so far. However, I find the manual and online references lacking in particular areas. For example...

1) How do I load a program into the calculator and then access it? I am able to use Conn4x and connect to my calculator. But then all I get is a list of files and a folder of more files.

The particular program I want to load is a periodic table. I don't know where to put the file, nor do I know how to access it once in the calculator. The readme for the program says this
2.1 Installing
--------------
a) send either chemlb27.lib(full) or chemlt27.lib(light) to the HP48
b) put a copy of the library on the stack
c) enter the port number to store the library (0-33 GX, 0-2 SX)
d) here is an example of the stack setup so far:

--------------------------
4:
3:
2: Library 1014: CHE...
1: 0
| | | | | | |

e) at this point, press [STO]
f) perform a warmstart with [ON][C] or turn on and off the HP48
g) erase the variable containing the library. eg. 'CHEMLB27.LIB' PURGE
h) read the next section for the Universal Font Library (UFL)
requirements
For part a, I don't know where exactly I need to send it. Part b, what does that mean, 'put a library in the stack'? I am pretty much lost after that...

2)Any tips on how to do symbolic integration? The integral button seems to only do definite integrals. I am having a feeling that this calculator is not good at doing symbolic calculus... If that is the case I am sure sorry I purchased it...

3)Finally if you have any tips/tricks or useful programs for the calculator pleases share! I want to learn how to use this thing real well over spring break.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi there!

When it comes to loading programs into your HP50G, you should first connect the calculator to your computer with Conn4x. Then, you need to move the program file from your computer to the calculator. To do this, you should use the [TRANSFER] command. This command will allow you to transfer the program from your computer to the calculator. Once you've transferred the program, you can access it from the calculator by entering the name of the file in the command line.

For symbolic integration, you can use the [INTEG] function. This function can solve both definite and indefinite integrals. You can also use the CAS (Computer Algebra System) to solve more complex integrals.

Finally, if you're looking for some tips and tricks or useful programs, I suggest checking out the HP Calculators Forum. This forum has a wealth of information about HP calculators, including tips, tricks, and programs.

Hi there, congratulations on your purchase of the HP50g! It's a great calculator with many useful features. To answer your questions:

1) To load a program into the calculator, you will need to use the built-in connectivity software Conn4x or a similar program. Once you have connected your calculator to your computer, you can transfer the program file (in this case, the periodic table program) to the calculator. The specific steps may vary depending on the software you are using, but generally you will need to select the file on your computer, then choose the option to send it to the calculator. Once the transfer is complete, you can access the program by going to the library menu (press the [LIB] key) and selecting the appropriate library.

2) The HP50g does have the ability to perform symbolic integration, but it may not be as user-friendly as some other calculators. To perform a symbolic integration, press [CAS] to enter the Computer Algebra System, then press [INT] to access the integration function. You can then enter the expression you want to integrate, followed by the variable of integration and the limits of integration (if desired). Press [ENTER] to see the result. If you are having trouble with this, I recommend checking out the user manual for more detailed instructions.

3) There are many useful programs and tricks for the HP50g, but it would be impossible to list them all here. I suggest checking out online forums and communities dedicated to HP calculators, as well as YouTube tutorials and online guides. You can also experiment with the calculator yourself and see what features and functions you find most useful. Have fun exploring and learning more about your new calculator!

1. How do I load programs onto my HP 50g calculator?

To load programs onto your HP 50g calculator, you will need to use the connectivity software that came with your calculator. Connect your calculator to your computer using the USB cable and use the software to transfer the program files to your calculator.

2. What is symbolic calculus and how does it work on the HP 50g?

Symbolic calculus is a mathematical process that involves manipulating mathematical expressions using symbols instead of numerical values. The HP 50g calculator has a built-in computer algebra system that allows you to perform symbolic calculus operations, such as differentiation and integration, on mathematical expressions and functions.

3. Can I create my own programs for symbolic calculus on the HP 50g?

Yes, you can create your own programs for symbolic calculus on the HP 50g using the built-in programming language. You can also find and download programs created by other users online.

4. How do I use the symbolic calculus features on the HP 50g?

To use the symbolic calculus features on the HP 50g, you will need to enter the mathematical expression or function you want to manipulate, and then use the appropriate command or menu option to perform the desired operation. The calculator will display the result in symbolic form.

5. Is the HP 50g calculator capable of symbolic calculus in multiple variables?

Yes, the HP 50g calculator is capable of performing symbolic calculus operations in multiple variables. You can enter expressions or functions with multiple variables and use the appropriate commands to manipulate them symbolically.