Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HP iPod

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1
    HP has started televising ads for their Apple iPod.

I heard about this merger months ago, but I don't get the point of it.

The iPod already works with Windows and iTunes (on Windows). Why does HP have to promote the iPod?

When news was first released about the partnership, HP designed their own iPod which was basically the same as Apple's, but black.

The one I see on their website is identical. HP's music site talks about the Apple iPod and iTunes.

I haven't noticed anything dramatically different about the Apple iPod +HP. AFAIK, iPods worked well with HPs running iTunes.

What are they trying to do? Are they just a merchant for Apple, in hopes that people will buy a HP Computer along with the iPod?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2004 #2
    Because people like ipods and not HP it improves their image

4. Sep 1, 2004 #3
    Plus people don't know ennough about stuff to relize that HP comp isn't needed for Ipod

5. Sep 1, 2004 #4
    Why HP is helping Apple market the iPod

HP is helping Apple move the iPod because HP has a much larger marketing machine than Apple has. Part of the reason people will buy an HP instead of an Apple branded iPod is that people do not trust Apple to sell a product that works with PC's. These two things were reported in the news[/url=] stories covering this event.

6. Sep 7, 2004 #5
    What is that comment based on?! HP has a huge marketshare. If people "don't like HP" they wouldn't be buying them. Last time I check, HP/Compaq had the largest market share.

If anything, people either like or dislike Apple.

I guess those "switch" commercials attacking Windows came back to bite them in ass...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?