Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HP laptop battery problem

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    HP laptop battery problem!!

hi, does anyone know why my battery on my HP laptop doesnt recharge when it is plugged in to the mains?? It says it is 0% and charging but never actually increases. If you unplug the AC adapter it doesnt turn itself off but keeps warning me that it is at 0% and should be plugged in.
    The laptop is only about 5 months old so shouldnt really have this sort of problem.

Any ideas are welcome!!

Oh, the model number is HP Pavillion dv4, if that helps??

Cheers for any feedback,

dan

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: HP laptop battery problem!!

Try removing the battery and re-seating it, it could just be a bad contact.
    More likely is that you have killed the battery, by over charging or too much heat.
    There is a tiny computer in most modern laptop batteries that also monitors the charge/discharge, there might be a reset button on the battery to clear it's memory.

4. Nov 8, 2010 #3

wow, I like you says,so the beauty of notebook PCs is the portability, making them an essential device with an obivous advantage of mobility over desktop computers. Of course, after several hours, you will need to recharge your laptop's battery, plugging an AC charger from the mains into your laptop, which means, for a short period of time, it's fixed to one place, making it effectively a desktop PC for a short while.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. May 3, 2011 #4

Try removing the battery and reinstalled, it was just a bad contact.
    It 's more likely that you've killed the battery or extreme heat.
    There is a small computer in most modern laptop batteries, which also controls the charge / discharge can eliminate a reset button on the battery for the memory.

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5

my HP laptop's battery discharge twice, does it affects on my laptop speed or 3dcard?? b/coz looks like my game (battle-field-3) is bit slow after dat accident of discharging,,,as my laptop is HP 6series with 1gp 3dcard.Thanks for reply in advance.

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6

my HP laptop's battery discharge twice, does it affects on my laptop speed or 3dcard?? b/coz looks like my game (battle-field-3) is bit slow after dat accident of discharging,,,as my laptop is HP 6series with 1gp 3dcard.Thanks for reply in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook