Solving Engineering Calculations with HP Prime - Hemi79

• Thread starter Hemi79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation is about the use of color screen calculators, specifically the Casio fx-CG10 and the HP Prime. The person has a question about converting results to engineering or scientific format and is looking for the ENG button on the calculators. The solution is to press F4 (Eng) on the Casio fx-CG10 and to use the blue shift key and setup (symbX) on the HP Prime to change the number format to engineering. A link is also provided for further assistance.
Hemi79
Hi, I'm a civil engineer finishing up my Masters with a structural concentration. Ever since I finished undergrad school I started looking for a new calculator. I decided that my frustration of scientific calculator screens would come to an end. I purchased the Casio fx-CG10. Recently I was given the HP Prime as well. Before I ask my question I want to say that primarily I use these calculators simply because of the color screen. It really helps my eyes all day as my scientific calculator (Casio fx 115 ES) does not. That may not be a good enough reason for many to buy one of these color screen calculators, but I took the risk when I purchased the CG10 and I haven't looked back. My question is this, when I get a result that I want to convert to engineering or scientific format where is the ENG button? I guess I never noticed it on my Casio CG10 because of the much bigger fonts but with the HP Prime I was hoping It would be as simple as pressing a button like my 115ES Casio. Anyways, I hope you all don't mind the simple question. I don't use graphing calculators for more than what a scientific calculator can do for me, but the HP Prime, in size and screen, is unbeatable to IMO.

Thanks in advance,

Hemi79
p.s. I really couldn't find anything in its manual other than changing the result format in settings which changes all input and output format.

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

On page 59 of the manual it say to press F4 (Eng)

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Casio/FX-CG10/Manual/275075?page=59

I agree. Except this is in setup (settings). I am referring getting a result for example as .000018, and pressing ENG to get 18E-6 I run into the same situation with the HP Prime.

Thank you for the help.

On the Hp Prime: Use your blue shift key, then setup (just under symbX key). That will bring up your three modes to configure. The middle is Number format. Since it is a touch screen, touch and you will have five selections, Engineering is the last one, touch to activate. You can also select number of digits to show, I use default of 4, but you can change as well.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the HP Prime calculator and how does it help with engineering calculations?

The HP Prime is a powerful graphing calculator designed specifically for engineers and scientists. It has advanced mathematical and statistical functions, as well as the ability to solve complex equations and perform unit conversions. This makes it a valuable tool for solving engineering calculations quickly and accurately.

2. How do I enter and solve equations on the HP Prime calculator?

To enter an equation on the HP Prime, you can use the on-screen keypad or the built-in computer algebra system (CAS). The CAS allows you to enter equations in natural mathematical notation and solve them symbolically. You can also use the calculator's Solve and Find functions to solve equations numerically.

3. Can the HP Prime perform unit conversions?

Yes, the HP Prime has a built-in unit conversion function that allows you to easily convert between different units of measurement. Simply enter the value and unit you want to convert from, and then the unit you want to convert to. The calculator will automatically perform the conversion and display the result.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from the HP Prime calculator?

The HP Prime uses a precision of up to 15 digits for calculations, which ensures accurate and reliable results. It also has a built-in error checking system to detect and correct any input errors. However, it is important to always double-check your inputs and calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. Can I use the HP Prime for more advanced engineering calculations, such as matrix operations?

Yes, the HP Prime has a wide range of advanced mathematical functions, including matrix operations, which can be very useful for engineering calculations. It also has the ability to plot graphs and perform statistical analyses, making it a versatile tool for a variety of engineering tasks.