Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HP tips its hand on new iPod

1. Aug 28, 2004 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hewlett-Packard reveals the pricing and storage capacity for its clone of Apple's music player.
    {br}{br}View the Entire Article{br}
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2004 #2
    I wonder why archos players haven't caught on like ipods
    they do so much more
  4. Oct 6, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to the article, it's the same thing at the same price. So, what's the big deal? Is there a reason to buy it from HP intead of Apple or vice versa?
  5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
    iriver mp3 player are where its at
  6. Oct 12, 2004 #5
    As a tech geek and Ipod owner, I don't see any reason why I would buy the HP ipod instead of the Apple. They're pretty much the same.

The most likely reason for the HP ipod is that most people still think that Ipods only work with Macs and this will increase the popularity of Ipods with PC owners, and will also increase market for HP desktops to sync with their Ipods.
  7. Oct 12, 2004 #6

Staff: Mentor

The Professional hit it - its the name. Non-savy PC owners are more likely to buy one that has "HP" stamped on the case because they might assume an Apple one won't work with their PC.

I, on the other hand, own a Nomad Jukebox, which is bigger and costs less :biggrin:
  8. Oct 27, 2004 #7
    Marketing power as well. HPs are sold from all the big stores like Best Buy, Future Shop, CompUSA, Circuit City, Radio Shack. They also sell HP iPods at Costcos now too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?