Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators HP50G Quick Question

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I can't seem to get the HP50G to give answers in decimal regularly.

I'm in scientific mode but for instance can only get 13750/119 to appear as 13750/119...

This happens every once in a while and I can't find a command like on the Ti84+ that will force a decimal out of it...

Any help appreciatted,

Whalstib

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can't you get it to just do plain old division? I haven't used an HP calculator for a long time, but the last one I had used reverse Polish notation (RPN). If that's what yours uses, you can get it to do division something like this:
    13750 [Enter]
    119 [Divide]

4. Jul 19, 2010 #3

Nope,

Give the same result...

I found that Mode>CAS and selecting "approximate" gives a decimal answer.

You'd think that the calculator would be smart enough to know that if your using scientific you'd probably shy away from fractions.....Or at least have a quick command to convert.

This is why I like the HP35s. It defaults to decimals but if you enter .26.567 the display is 26/567

W

5. Jul 26, 2010 #4
    Use: [right-shift] [enter] to convert to decimal. Please note that if you press and hold the [right-shift] key, you will actually switch modes from exact to approximate (so that all subsequent calculations are converted to decimals). This can be toggled and you should see the top of your display change from [tex]\approx[/tex] to [tex]=[/tex]

6. Jul 31, 2010 #5

i2c

Maybe once you get the answer in fraction form, try dividing it by 1.0 That works on my TI-89 when it spits a fraction back at me and I want it in decimal form.

7. Nov 7, 2010 #6
    When the calculator is in exact mode you can also put a . at the end of one of the numbers and it will give you a decimal. For example type 2. [enter] 5 [divide]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook