HP50G: How to Force Decimal Answers

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Whalstib
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in getting the HP50G calculator to give decimal answers regularly while in scientific mode. The person suggests using reverse Polish notation (RPN) or the [right-shift] [enter] key to convert to decimal. They also mention using the [right-shift] key to toggle between exact and approximate mode. Another suggestion is to add a decimal point at the end of one of the numbers to receive a decimal answer.
Whalstib
Hi,

I can't seem to get the HP50G to give answers in decimal regularly.

I'm in scientific mode but for instance can only get 13750/119 to appear as 13750/119...

This happens every once in a while and I can't find a command like on the Ti84+ that will force a decimal out of it...

Any help appreciatted,

Whalstib

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can't you get it to just do plain old division? I haven't used an HP calculator for a long time, but the last one I had used reverse Polish notation (RPN). If that's what yours uses, you can get it to do division something like this:
13750 [Enter]
119 [Divide]

Mark44 said:
Can't you get it to just do plain old division? I haven't used an HP calculator for a long time, but the last one I had used reverse Polish notation (RPN). If that's what yours uses, you can get it to do division something like this:
13750 [Enter]
119 [Divide]

Nope,

Give the same result...

I found that Mode>CAS and selecting "approximate" gives a decimal answer.

You'd think that the calculator would be smart enough to know that if your using scientific you'd probably shy away from fractions...Or at least have a quick command to convert.

This is why I like the HP35s. It defaults to decimals but if you enter .26.567 the display is 26/567

W

Whalstib said:
Hi,

I can't seem to get the HP50G to give answers in decimal regularly.

I'm in scientific mode but for instance can only get 13750/119 to appear as 13750/119...

This happens every once in a while and I can't find a command like on the Ti84+ that will force a decimal out of it...

Any help appreciatted,

Whalstib

Use: [right-shift] [enter] to convert to decimal. Please note that if you press and hold the [right-shift] key, you will actually switch modes from exact to approximate (so that all subsequent calculations are converted to decimals). This can be toggled and you should see the top of your display change from [tex]\approx[/tex] to [tex]=[/tex]

Maybe once you get the answer in fraction form, try dividing it by 1.0 That works on my TI-89 when it spits a fraction back at me and I want it in decimal form.

When the calculator is in exact mode you can also put a . at the end of one of the numbers and it will give you a decimal. For example type 2. [enter] 5 [divide]

1. What is the "Force Decimal Answers" setting on the HP50G calculator?

The "Force Decimal Answers" setting on the HP50G calculator is a feature that allows the calculator to display all answers in decimal form, rather than in fractions or scientific notation. This setting is useful for those who prefer working with decimal numbers or for situations where fractions may be difficult to interpret.

2. How do I activate the "Force Decimal Answers" setting on the HP50G calculator?

To activate the "Force Decimal Answers" setting, press the "MODE" button, select "FORMAT," and then choose "DEC" from the list of options. This will set the calculator to display all answers in decimal form.

3. Can I switch between decimal and fraction answers on the HP50G calculator?

Yes, you can switch between decimal and fraction answers by changing the "FORMAT" setting. If you want to display answers in fractions, select "FRAC" instead of "DEC" in the "FORMAT" menu. You can switch back to decimal answers by following the same steps.

4. Will the "Force Decimal Answers" setting affect the accuracy of my calculations on the HP50G calculator?

No, the "Force Decimal Answers" setting will not affect the accuracy of your calculations. It simply changes the way the answers are displayed on the calculator's screen. The calculator will still perform calculations with the same level of accuracy, regardless of whether the setting is activated or not.

5. Can I override the "Force Decimal Answers" setting for specific calculations on the HP50G calculator?

Yes, you can override the "Force Decimal Answers" setting for specific calculations by using the "SOLVE" function. This function allows you to specify the number of decimal places you want the answer to be displayed in for that particular calculation. Simply add the desired number of decimal places after the "SOLVE" function, for example, "SOLVE(2+3) 3" would display the answer as "5.00" with two decimal places.