What Causes #HREF! Errors in Excel 2007?

In summary, the conversation was about an issue with copying formula-based data from one sheet to another in Excel 2007. The problem was that when pasting, Excel did not have access to the values from the previous sheet, causing the formula to not make sense. Various solutions were suggested, such as referring to data from another sheet or using paste|special|link. Ultimately, the solution that worked was to choose the destination cell, set the input value to =, go to the initial sheet, select the value, and hit enter.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Trying to fix #HREF! problems that come about when pasting formular-based columns in Excel 2007.
Hi all,
I am having #HREF! issues in Excel 2007 when copying formula-based data from one sheet to another. The suggested solutions online are not working.

I understand what the issue is: when copying from one sheet to another, Excel is trying to use data from the previous sheet, sheet_j, say, , which is not available to it, to obtain data for sheet_k. In this case, in sheet_j, the entries are averages of values in columns in sheet_j. When pasting, Excel apparently has no access to these values, so the formula, say, Average(A1:A5) makes no sense without knowing what A1:A5 are.

Still, the suggested solutions I found online are not working.Any other ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you want to refer to data in another sheet, enter the formula as AVERAGE(sheet_j!A1:A5), or just select the range in the other sheet with the mouse.

Likes WWGD
I've used LibreOffice so long I don't remember exactly, but one approach would be to copy the desired range, and use paste|special|link.

Likes WWGD
Asymptotic said:
I've used LibreOffice so long I don't remember exactly, but one approach would be to copy the desired range, and use paste|special|link.
Thanks, but when I do copy+paste, it seems to use the formula from the previous page.

Thanks all. I tried something else that worked:
Choose the destination cell in sheet j. Set the input value to = , go to initial sheet k . Select the value, hit enter. That's it. You can then extend to the rest of the column.

Likes berkeman
WWGD said:
Thanks, but when I do copy+paste, it seems to use the formula from the previous page.
Never mind, this works too, I had misread, my bad.

1. What is an #HREF issue in Excel 2007?

An #HREF issue in Excel 2007 refers to a problem where a hyperlink is not working properly. This can happen when the link is no longer valid, the file or webpage it is linking to has been moved or deleted, or there is an error in the formula used to create the link.

2. How can I troubleshoot #HREF issues in Excel 2007?

To troubleshoot #HREF issues in Excel 2007, you can try clicking on the cell with the hyperlink and pressing the F2 key to edit the formula. Make sure the link is correct and the file or webpage it is linking to still exists. You can also try re-creating the hyperlink using the Insert Hyperlink function.

3. Can #HREF issues in Excel 2007 be caused by formatting?

Yes, #HREF issues in Excel 2007 can be caused by formatting. If the cell containing the hyperlink has been formatted as plain text, the link will not work. Make sure the cell is formatted as a hyperlink before inserting the link.

4. How can I prevent #HREF issues in Excel 2007?

To prevent #HREF issues in Excel 2007, make sure to double-check all hyperlinks before inserting them. Also, avoid moving or deleting files or webpages that are linked to in your spreadsheet. You can also use the HYPERLINK function instead of inserting the link directly to ensure the link is always valid.

5. Are there any known bugs or glitches related to #HREF issues in Excel 2007?

Yes, there have been some known bugs and glitches related to #HREF issues in Excel 2007. However, most of these have been fixed in newer versions of Excel. If you are experiencing persistent #HREF issues, make sure you have the latest updates installed and consider upgrading to a newer version of Excel.