Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hrrrrmmmmmmm the sequel .

1. Jun 27, 2004 #1
    hrrrrmmmmmmm the sequel.....

The FT has now learnt that three European intelligence services were aware of possible illicit trade in uranium from Niger between 1999 and 2001. Human intelligence gathered in Italy and Africa more than three years before the Iraq war had shown Niger officials referring to possible illicit uranium deals with at least five countries, including Iraq.

This intelligence provided clues about plans by Libya and Iran to develop their undeclared nuclear programmes. Niger officials were also discussing sales to North Korea and China of uranium ore or the "yellow cake" refined from it: the raw materials that can be progressively enriched to make nuclear bombs.

The raw intelligence on the negotiations included indications that Libya was investing in Niger's uranium industry to prop it up at a time when demand had fallen, and that sales to Iraq were just a part of the clandestine export plan. These secret exports would allow countries with undeclared nuclear programmes to build up uranium stockpiles.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2004 #2
    Uranium (even highly enriched) is A "Dime A Dozen"

Iraq's nuclear reactors were bombed by Israel (illegally) way back in the 80s.

Uranium can be literally "traded" here in Oz. The stuffs everywhere and quite easy to get hold of. Go North, and I could swap a couple of ounces for a few cases of beer...
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  4. Jun 27, 2004 #3
    can we keep this on track?
  5. Jun 27, 2004 #4
    Well, if it turns out there is anything more to it than a few people saying there were a few phone calls from Niger to Iraq, Bush will be happy.
  6. Jun 27, 2004 #5
    Mate, I'm just trying to pint out how EASY it is to get hold of Uranium.
    You DON'T need clandestine intelligence agencies to get it.
    I can even get it...
    Know anybody in a medical research facility?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?