Planning for a Career in Engineering: Senior Year Course Options

In summary, the best classes for being an engineer are Honors English 4, Calculus, AP Physics B, AP Psychology, and AP Macroeconomics.
Legendofdeep
I'm a junior in high school and I'm planning to be an engineer when I grow up. Below is the schedule for senior year and I am wondering what classes would be the best choice for being an engineer.

Honors English 4
Calculus
AP Physics B
AP Psychology
AP Macroeconomics
Fine/Applied Art (Needed for Graduation)

I already took three years of Spanish and Tech Design Lab.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can, take AP Physics C instead of B. Physics C is calculus-based, while B is algebra-based, which isn't as useful from an engineering prospective.

Also try and take AP Calculus BC.

If offered, I'd also consider taking an AP English so you can claim credit for the class and get out of taking English in college.

My teachers did not recommend me for AP Calculus and AP Enlgish and I will not be able to get into them without an teacher recommendation. AP Physics B is the highest Physics class available at my high school. How important would you consider AP Stat?

AP Stat wouldn't hurt, but calculus is more important.

^Unfortunately, I found out (the hard way) AP Stat doesn't usually count for much in terms of credits but AP Calc does. But maybe you should also take a preenginneering (or any tech ed design class) class. Also, intro to programming, maybe AP Chem are good too.

Keep in mind that after the first year or so of your university career, what you did in high school pretty much becomes meaningless. So don't sweat it :). At the most it means you take an extra class at some point, but with 30-40 classes for a bachelors, it's pretty much a moot point.

Take as many AP classes as you can. If you can get out of a good chunk of gen-eds, it will allow you a lot more breathing room in your schedule. I'd try to take AP Calculus if it's even remotely possible, but be prepared to retake it at the university level. Even if you get a 5 on the AP exam, AP Calculus is too watered down to serve as your only exposure to the subject.

If you think you can handle AP Calculus and AP English, I'd suggest trying to make an appeal. Maybe you can talk to an advisor/guidance counselor? I had to fight for a couple months to get into AP Calculus, but I eventually got in and ended up doing reasonably well. Your situation just might be similar.

I talked with the math supervisor and she switched me into AP Calculus but the English supervisor would not switch me in AP Literature and Composition.

What is the purpose of taking a senior year course in engineering?

The purpose of taking a senior year course in engineering is to gain advanced knowledge and skills in a specific branch of engineering and prepare for a career in the field. It allows students to explore different areas of engineering and determine their interests and strengths.

What are some common senior year course options for engineering?

Some common senior year course options for engineering include advanced courses in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and computer engineering. Other options may include courses in materials science, biotechnology, environmental engineering, or aerospace engineering.

How can a senior year course in engineering help with career planning?

A senior year course in engineering can provide students with practical experience and hands-on projects that simulate real-world engineering work. It can also help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills that are highly valued by employers in the engineering industry.

What are the benefits of taking a senior year course in engineering?

There are several benefits of taking a senior year course in engineering. These include gaining a deeper understanding of a specific branch of engineering, developing technical skills and expertise, preparing for a career in the field, and building a strong foundation for further education or graduate studies in engineering.

How should I select a senior year course in engineering?

When selecting a senior year course in engineering, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You should also research the course curriculum, learning outcomes, and any practical experience opportunities offered. It may also be helpful to speak with academic advisors, current students, and professionals in the field to gather more information and make an informed decision.