Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HTML across browsers

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    I'm making a web page for my professor's project (or remaking, that is) and I when I started I didn't know any HTML. He doesn't either, so it doesn't really matter. I almost had a good page down for the home page, and then I checked it in a different browser, and it was all messed up. I've been trying to figure out ways to make code compatible with all browsers, but I can't wrap my head around what's going on with the more complicated code.

Is there any quick way I can make sure my stuff works on all browsers? Or some good tutorials on that? I've tried www.html.net and www.w3schools.com and it didn't help much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The code is almost certainly compatible across browsers.
    The way the page LOOKS might not be. It might not even look the same on the sam e browser on the same computer if you select large screen fonts or expand the browser window.

If you need the page to look a certain way then using just html and hoping the screen is the same isn't enough, you need to look at CSS ( cascading style sheets) . Html was designed to markup content not layout.

Again w3schools are the best on line tutorials.
  4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    ive had countless cases where pages have rendered incorrectly in firefox an have been fine in IE.

Its most frustrating, something as simple as the persons text size can make a HUGE difference. Its odd
  5. Nov 21, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's usually easiest to design in a standards-compliant browser first, then make changes to support the old browsers after you finish. Don't ever design code for IE 5 or IE 6, for example.
  6. Nov 22, 2007 #5
    The thing about modern CSS/div based design is the div's are typically very independent of each other (if done correctly), so it's usually not that much of a stretch to add adaptations for older/non-standards-compliant browsers. Often, HTML help sites and the like tend to stress older HTML 4.01 standards, which means nasty ugly tables. W3Schools is a good reference however. I suggest you check out the following sites for good ideas on proper XHTML+CSS form:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?