Understanding Electron Attraction in HTSC Superconductors

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of superconductors and the BCS theory, specifically in regards to Type I and Type II superconductors. The question was posed about the accuracy of stating that an electron is attracted to the position of its counterpart in a Cooper pair, rather than to its counterpart itself. There was discussion about the mechanism of pairing in superconductors, including the role of phonons and the use of "cartoon" illustrations. The suggestion was made to consult resources such as Tinkham's work and Semiconductor Physics notes for further understanding. It was also clarified that while all HTSC are type II superconductors, not all type II superconductors are HTSC.
uWave_Matt
This has been discussed to death around here I imagine - Cooper pairs and whatnot - so I'll try to be specific and not ask too broad of a question here.

I did a little work with superconductors and I'm working on a passage for my thesis. I'm trying to provide background on Type I and Type II superconductors and I'm working on a general explanation of BCS theory and its limited application to Type II superconductors - I'll be talking to electrical engineers, not physicists.

The question is: Is it accurate to say that, in a Cooper pair, an electron is attracted to the position of its counterpart, rather than to its counterpart? It seems that the electron attracts surrounding oppositely charged atoms in the lattice of the HTSC causing the lattice to bend in towards the electron and create a slightly more concentrated charge increasing potential and attraction. The force on the coupled electron would pull it towards the new high-potential area overcoming repulsive forces between the two electrons due to the stronger attractive force from the lattice.

Am I on the right track here or do I need to head on over to the physics library and pick up a few more books?

Physics news on Phys.org
uWave_Matt said:
This has been discussed to death around here I imagine - Cooper pairs and whatnot - so I'll try to be specific and not ask too broad of a question here.

I did a little work with superconductors and I'm working on a passage for my thesis. I'm trying to provide background on Type I and Type II superconductors and I'm working on a general explanation of BCS theory and its limited application to Type II superconductors - I'll be talking to electrical engineers, not physicists.

The question is: Is it accurate to say that, in a Cooper pair, an electron is attracted to the position of its counterpart, rather than to its counterpart? It seems that the electron attracts surrounding oppositely charged atoms in the lattice of the HTSC causing the lattice to bend in towards the electron and create a slightly more concentrated charge increasing potential and attraction. The force on the coupled electron would pull it towards the new high-potential area overcoming repulsive forces between the two electrons due to the stronger attractive force from the lattice.

Am I on the right track here or do I need to head on over to the physics library and pick up a few more books?

This picture is fine if you intend to present a "cartoon" picture of the paring interaction.

BTW, why are you specifying that this is for HTSC (assuming that you are using HTSC to mean "high Tc superconductor"). What you are describing is thought to be valid for conventional superconductors. While the consensus is there for paring to occur in HTSC, the mechanism is still being debated. What you have described is paring due to phonons. This is still controversial in HTSC. I would not illustrate this cartoon picture by invoking that family of material.

Zz.

uWave_Matt said:
I'm working on a general explanation of BCS theory and its limited application to Type II superconductors -
BCS theory applies to type II superconductors.

Am I on the right track here or do I need to head on over to the physics library and pick up a few more books?[/QUOTE]

Head over to the library, maybe look up Tinkham. The pairing isn't performed in real space; i'ts performed in k space.

ZapperZ said:
This picture is fine if you intend to present a "cartoon" picture of the paring interaction.

BTW, why are you specifying that this is for HTSC (assuming that you are using HTSC to mean "high Tc superconductor"). What you are describing is thought to be valid for conventional superconductors. While the consensus is there for paring to occur in HTSC, the mechanism is still being debated. What you have described is paring due to phonons. This is still controversial in HTSC. I would not illustrate this cartoon picture by invoking that family of material.

Zz.

I was aware that the theory describing the mechanism of conduction in type II superconductors is still being debated - for some reason I thought I read somewhere that this type of attraction still held true in type II (HTSC). That's alright. I'll probably be doing a brief description of type I (conventional) as well so I'll just illustrate this there.

nbo10 said:
Head over to the library, maybe look up Tinkham. The pairing isn't performed in real space; i'ts performed in k space.

Sounds like I need to get out my old Semiconductor Physics notes...thanks for the pointer.

uWave_Matt said:
I was aware that the theory describing the mechanism of conduction in type II superconductors is still being debated - for some reason I thought I read somewhere that this type of attraction still held true in type II (HTSC). That's alright. I'll probably be doing a brief description of type I (conventional) as well so I'll just illustrate this there.

Where did you read this? There are type II conventional superconductors. The mechanism for these are described via the BCS theory.

All HTSC are type II superconductors, but not all type II superconductors are HTSC. You need to check your logic a bit here.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Where did you read this? There are type II conventional superconductors. The mechanism for these are described via the BCS theory.

All HTSC are type II superconductors, but not all type II superconductors are HTSC. You need to check your logic a bit here.

Zz.

That's my mistake. I've just become so accustomed to associating Type II with HTSCs that I've absent-mindedly used the terms interchangeably - something I probably need to watch out for while I'm writing my thesis.

1. What is HTSC electron attraction?

HTSC (High-Temperature Superconductivity) electron attraction refers to the phenomenon of electrons being strongly attracted to each other in materials that exhibit superconductivity at relatively high temperatures.

2. How does HTSC electron attraction occur?

In high-temperature superconducting materials, the electron-electron interactions are enhanced due to the presence of strong electron-phonon coupling, which allows for the formation of Cooper pairs at higher temperatures.

3. What is the significance of HTSC electron attraction?

The strong electron attraction in high-temperature superconducting materials allows for the flow of electric current with zero resistance, making them highly desirable for practical applications such as in power transmission and medical imaging.

4. Can HTSC electron attraction be controlled?

Yes, the strength of HTSC electron attraction can be controlled by adjusting the temperature, pressure, and composition of the material. This allows for the optimization of superconducting properties for specific applications.

5. What are the current challenges in understanding HTSC electron attraction?

Although significant progress has been made in understanding high-temperature superconductivity, the exact mechanisms behind HTSC electron attraction are still not fully understood and remain a subject of ongoing research in the scientific community.