Hubbard Stratonovich/Gaussian Function Integration

In summary, Gaussian functional integration can be confusing but it involves using the Gaussian integral formula and Wick's theorem to simplify integrals involving Gaussian functions. The identities marked in the picture are known as Wick's theorem and they allow for the determinant of A to be absorbed into the measure, which is a way of simplifying the integral. Absorbing something into a measure means including it in the calculation but not explicitly writing it in the final result. Any constant or function that does not depend on the integration variables can be absorbed into the measure in functional integration.
aaaa202
I need some help on this since I clearly am not confident with Gaussian functional integration. Can anyone explain where the marked identities on the picture hold? I assume you have to use some formulas for Gaussian functional integration, but the only thing I could find is the one given in the bottom of the picture and that is not generalized to matrices and anyway it does not match with the results marked. Where does the determinant of A go, for example? Is it absorbed into the measure and in general which things can be absorbed into the measure, and what does it even to absorb something into a measure in functional integration?

Attachments

• gaussianfunc.png
    gaussianfunc.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 220
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I understand that Gaussian functional integration can be quite confusing, but don't worry, I'm here to help! First, let's start with the formula given at the bottom of the picture. This formula is known as the Gaussian integral and it is a special case of Gaussian functional integration. It is used to calculate the integral of a Gaussian function, which is a type of probability distribution.

Now, let's talk about the identities marked in the picture. These identities are known as the Wick's theorem and they are used in Gaussian functional integration to simplify the calculation of integrals involving Gaussian functions. The Wick's theorem states that the integral of a product of Gaussian functions can be written as a sum of integrals of individual Gaussian functions. This is where the determinant of A comes in. In the Wick's theorem, it is absorbed into the measure, which is a way of simplifying the integral.

To understand what it means to absorb something into a measure in functional integration, we need to understand the concept of a measure. In functional integration, a measure is a way of assigning a value to a set of functions. Absorbing something into a measure means that we are including it in the calculation of the integral, but it is not explicitly written in the final result.

In general, any constant or function that does not depend on the integration variables can be absorbed into the measure. This includes the determinant of A, which is a constant in this case.

I hope this explanation helps you understand Gaussian functional integration better. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation?

The Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation is a mathematical technique used to simplify the integration of certain types of functions, particularly those involving Gaussian distributions. It involves rewriting the original function as a product of two functions, one of which is a Gaussian function. This allows for easier integration and analysis of the original function.

2. What is the purpose of using the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation?

The main purpose of using the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation is to simplify the integration of functions that involve Gaussian distributions. This allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of these types of functions, which are commonly found in statistical mechanics, quantum field theory, and other areas of physics.

3. How is the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation used in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation is used to simplify the integration of the partition function, which is a fundamental quantity that describes the thermodynamic properties of a system. By rewriting the partition function using the transformation, it becomes easier to calculate and analyze the properties of a system.

4. Is the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation applicable to all functions?

No, the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation is only applicable to certain types of functions, particularly those involving Gaussian distributions. It is not a universal method for simplifying integrals and may not be applicable in all cases.

5. What are the advantages of using the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation?

One of the main advantages of using the Hubbard-Stratonovich transformation is that it allows for easier and more accurate analysis of functions involving Gaussian distributions. It also simplifies the integration process, making it more efficient. Additionally, the transformation can reveal important information about the properties of a system, such as phase transitions and critical points.