Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hubble History

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    I came across this interesting Havard article at http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~huchra/hubble.plot.dat listing over 600 Hubble survey results dating back to about 1929 and up to 2008. I put all the data into into a spreadsheet and using over 500 Hubble estimates from 1960 onwards I got an average value of about 67.1 which was lower than I was expecting because the a lot of the early results were much higher than the current estimate of about 71

Anyway, I have attached the spreadsheet which has all the data separated into | Hubble value | + error | - error | date | etc fields in numerical format which might be helpful to someone interested in doing a statistical analysis of the historical data.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2008 #2

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your value of 67.1 seems about right.

In 1985 Michael Rowan Robinson made a survey of all measurements of H0 and came up with a figure of 67 km/s/Mpc.

Recently he said (RAS 2008 Presidential Address):
    It is interesting that your historical average is consistent with these values, the scatter was all about the same value with the uncertainty decreasing as time went on.

Garth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?