Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Hubble Space Telescope?

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    I saw once a while back on the History Channel that Hubble looks something like 14.5 billion years into the past? I know very very very little about physics but this has me very interested. Could some one clarify this a bit? I assume that the reason Hubble looks into the past is because the light has not reached us yet? I don't know, help please! =)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2004 #2
    Since it takes time for light to travel any given distance, anytime one looks at anything one is looking into the past. The sun is about 8 light minutes away, so you are seeing it as it looked about 8 minutes ago.
  4. Mar 30, 2004 #3
    Maybe someday we can pick up light thats traveled millions of years and has conveniently bounced back to us.... there for we can look at our own past !!! :smile:

maybe even see the dino's :wink:
  5. Mar 30, 2004 #4
    I figured that was what was going on. You guys know where I can find out more about this? I have some more questions, maybe I'll have to time post them later but I need to run right now. Thanks again!

6. Mar 30, 2004 #5
    Gazing deep enough into outer space has the oldest objects in the universe (quazars, etc.) that may give scientists an insight on how the early universe evolved into its current state. Its pretty exciting stuff, then again, I like the mysterious and unknown.
  7. Mar 30, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, not to toot our own collective horn, but pf is a great place to find out more about this topic!

You may also want to start with some books on astrophysics or cosmology. Your local college bookstore should have many.

You can also learn quite a bit by reading Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial, available here:

(It's unfortunate how few introductory expositions of cosmology exist... maybe I should begin writing The Cartoon Guide to Cosmology?)

- Warren
  8. Mar 30, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Matt, if your learning style is lots of little bite-sized chunks, which you can read at any time, and with tons and tons of other resources that you can follow just by clicking on a link, then why not try
    Astronomy Picture of the Day?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?