Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Hubble term versus inflaton

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    From cosmology,

##H^2 = \frac{ρ}{3M_p^2} = \frac{1}{3M_p^2}(½\dot φ^2 + ½m^2φ^2)##

Suppose ##V(φ) = ½m^2φ^2##

where
    ##ρ## = density
    ##M_p## = planck mass

I want to graph ##H## vs. ##φ## but there is a ##\dot φ## and I know this is a differential equation, can somebody help me what to do here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

The only way is to solve the differential equation so that you know ##\phi(t)##. For that, you'll need more than just this equation, as you have an unknown function of time on both sides of the equation. You'd need to make use of a second equation, possibly the second Friedmann equation, to resolve the discrepancy.

4. Jan 11, 2017 #3
    I was hoping to get rid of ##\dot φ## but it seems I can't find any relationship for that. If I'm to use the second Friedmann equation,
    ##\frac{\ddot a}{a} = -\frac{1}{6M_p^2}(ρ+3p)~~~~~~~~~ ^*~H = \frac{\dot a}{a}~~→~~\dot H = \frac{\ddot a}{a} - (\frac{\dot a}{a})^2~~→~~\dot H = \frac{\ddot a}{a} - H^2##

##\dot H + H = -\frac{1}{6M_p^2}(ρ+3p)##

The problem is the form of ##ρ## and ##p##. For warm inflation, should I consider ##ρ = ρ_λ + ρ_r## and ##p = p_λ + p_r##? Given that ##p_λ = -ρ_λ## and ##p_r = \frac{1}{3}ρ_r##

5. Jan 11, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot get rid of the time derivative in favour of other quantities. That would remove the dynamics of the field itself.

In some cases, like slow-roll inflation, you can neglect the kinetic term in the energy, but it is still there.

6. Jan 11, 2017 #5
    Yes, that's why I'd like to solve the DE exactly but there is an ##H^2## in front which is also a variable.

7. Jan 11, 2017 #6
    If I define ##t_H = H^{-1}## (Hubble time) then it would be just an ODE so I could use the typical numerical calculation in Mathematica?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  8. Jan 11, 2017 #7
    Have you considered the Klein-Gordon equation?
    $$ \ddot{\phi}+3H\dot{\phi}+\dfrac{dV}{d\phi}=0$$

9. Jan 11, 2017 #8
    That would be the case in typical inflationary scenario but in warm inflation KG equation would be modified to

##\ddot{\phi}+(3H + Γ)\dot{\phi}+\dfrac{dV}{d\phi}=0##

There is an extra dissipation term ##Γ##, which I would also need later, so that is also a problem.
    Basically, I want to find the relationship of the tensor to scalar ratio ##r## with the ##Γ## dissipation term by the theoretical result ##r = 16ε## where ##ε## is the Hubble slow roll parameter, but from the equations I can see, ##H##, ##φ##, and ##\dot φ## are in the way since ##ε = -\frac{\dot H}{H^2}## so I think I can numerically calculate ##H## in terms of ##φ## in order to get different values of H to again numerically calculate ##r## in terms of ##H##.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. Jan 13, 2017 #9
    I can only think of two equations that I can use to get the behavior of ##H## in terms of ##\phi## for various dissipation term ##\Gamma##,

$$\ddot{\phi}+3H\dot{\phi}+\dfrac{dV}{d\phi}=0 ,\quad H^2 = \frac{1}{6M_p^2}(\dot φ^2 + m^2φ^2)$$

Can anyone help me figure out how can I use mathematica to solve ##H## for different ##\Gamma##? I only have basic knowledge of mathematica.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted