Hubble's Law: Explaining Why Distant Bodies Recede Faster

In summary: Remember, to be homogeneous, it has to maintain the property that if you move to another location, the universe looks the same from that location.
Einstein's Cat
I am aware of the philosophical annotations with this question as some argue that science should only serve to explain how physical systems occur and not why; however if this question is not confined to this then I hope that there are answers. Is there an explanation to why Hubble's law exist? Or in other words, why is it the case that the further a body is from us, the faster it receeds from us?

Space news on Phys.org
It's because the universe is homogeneous and isotropic. A homogeneous, isotropic universe follows Hubble's law.

As to why it's homogeneous and isotropic, that's a harder question to answer. It seems likely that there was some mechanism that allowed the observable universe to come into equilibrium early-on, so that it had nearly the same density and temperature everywhere.

Chalnoth said:
It's because the universe is homogeneous and isotropic. A homogeneous, isotropic universe follows Hubble's law.
Please excuse my ignorance but it seems to me that a homogeneous and isotropic universe could be maintained even if the recessional velocity of anybody was constant and did not increase as the body gets further from us. Thus, I think that this doesn't explain the existence of Hubble's Law. Please correct me however.

Einstein's Cat said:
Please excuse my ignorance but it seems to me that a homogeneous and isotropic universe could be maintained even if the recessional velocity of anybody was constant and did not increase as the body gets further from us. Thus, I think that this doesn't explain the existence of Hubble's Law. Please correct me however.
If the recession velocity isn't proportional to distance, then it isn't homogeneous.

Remember, to be homogeneous, it has to maintain the property that if you move to another location, the universe looks the same from that location.

Einstein's Cat said:
Please excuse my ignorance but it seems to me that a homogeneous and isotropic universe could be maintained even if the recessional velocity of anybody was constant and did not increase as the body gets further from us.
Adding to what Chalnoth wrote, in a homogeneous universe, a galaxy that is twice as distant from us must recede at twice the rate of the nearer one, and so on. This is Hubble's law. If the reason is not clear to you, please Google the 'balloon analogy'.

1. How does Hubble's Law explain the recession of distant bodies?

Hubble's Law states that the farther away a galaxy or other astronomical body is from us, the faster it appears to be receding. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes the space between objects to increase over time. The faster the object is moving away from us, the more distant it appears to be.

2. What is the mathematical equation for Hubble's Law?

The mathematical equation for Hubble's Law is v = H0 * d, where v is the recessional velocity of a distant object, H0 is the Hubble constant (a measure of the rate of expansion of the universe), and d is the distance to the object. This equation shows the linear relationship between distance and recession velocity.

3. How was Hubble's Law first discovered?

Hubble's Law was first discovered by American astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s. He observed that the light from distant galaxies appeared to be shifted towards the red end of the light spectrum, indicating that they were moving away from us. He then used this data to formulate Hubble's Law and confirmed the expansion of the universe.

4. Can Hubble's Law be used to measure the age of the universe?

Yes, Hubble's Law can be used to estimate the age of the universe. By measuring the recessional velocities of distant objects and using the Hubble constant, scientists can calculate the time it would take for the objects to reach their current distance from us. This is known as the "Hubble time" and is currently estimated to be around 13.8 billion years.

5. Does Hubble's Law apply to all distant objects?

Yes, Hubble's Law applies to all distant objects in the universe. However, it is most accurate for objects beyond our local group of galaxies, as the expansion of the universe is influenced by the gravitational pull of nearby objects. Additionally, Hubble's Law is only applicable to objects that are moving away from us, as objects moving towards us will have a negative recessional velocity.